Patching a Sidewall

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Patching a Sidewall

Patching a Sidewall

Hey folks,

I recently had a flat tire on my rig and had to limp back to the road on one track and five tires. Once I got it home, I discovered I had a puncture in the sidewall. I plugged it and took the machine on a three day hunting trip. Everything worked as it was supposed to, but after I got home and cleaned everything, I noticed that the plug is working its way out of the tire. Is this pretty normal for these low pressure tires?

Since it seems the plug will not hold up for another ride, I assume I will have to pull the tire off the rim and patch it from the inside. Does anyone have an easy trick for breaking the bead loose on a beadlock rim? I have heard they are a beast to break loose, which is why they work so well on the trail.

Mike
    Last edited by akcrawler; 09-07-2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: edited spelling

The sidewalls of a tire flex so much, its not recommended to plug or patch the sidewall. The repair will not last long. Some times you just have to bit the bullet and get a new tire.
    As for breaking the bead I saw on here a great little bead breaker that someone made and its works great. I made one but sorry I do not have a photo of it.
    Maybe just look for bead breaker on here and it may come up in a post.

Thanks Tucker,

I guess I already knew the answer, but didn't want to face it. I'll take a look for the bead breaker.

I went to a metal shop and had a pice of steel rolled and weldid the out side diamiter of the wheel. about 3" wide. Then put it in a press with a flat bar on top and pump away. It will pop rite off then flip it and repeat ! Thats how we do Go kart racing wheels also. Very easy and Fast ! PLUS CHEAP !!!!

Don't give up the ship! Break the tire down and clean it up in side and out,then put a radial patch on the inside and the the out side. Yes,the low pressure we run in our tires is the advantage to being to repair sidewall damage and salvage our beloved tires. I have two Rawhide lll's on my Argo with pretty good sized rips in the sidewalls that have been patched and are in service as I speak. I just fully serviced one and seated the beads with Either and even a brief moment of that sort of violence has no ill effect on the patch. I'd post pics but the camera still hasn't fixed itself.

Here is the bead breaker Idea I copied. And it works like a hot dam [IMG][/IMG]

Sorry I missed the actual point of the thread. I take my tires to a motorcycle service center. They have a nice machine that's smaller than those found in automotive tire houses. See if anyone up in your neck o' the woods has something similar. Be patient,yes these can be buggers to get off. Just have to keep working around nice and slow and it will eventually give up. Sometimes a pound of air left in the tire helps. (Saftey glasses). I've also noticed that the back beads seem to be more stubborn than the front. This I believe is due to the field derimmings usually being the outside bead

Tube

B
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 06:56 PM.

sidewall patch ---(or innertube)

Quote Originally Posted by Deedeelin1 View Post
    Thow most have said tubes are not good, after three small rides around the forest and the surrounding lots they are still holding up. I being new at this say in MHO I will run this tube until it goes out on me or it doesn't. A tube was 20 and 10 to put it in. My tire guy says don't try and fix a side wall leak, it just won't last. I will learn with time what really happens with my tube. Thank you
    That sounds like a no fail plan for sure. Either way ,please report back because it will help others who maybe just need a temporary solution and need to predict just how temporary are we talking about.

I have tried tubes in three tires but after using them on a hunting trip every tube spun in the tire. One even tore the valve right off. I have patched a sidewall with with an inner tube patch and so far has held air since last fall. I bought a cheap Princess Auto ( Harbour Freight) tire changer for 60 bucks and use it for all my tires.

+ Reply to Thread