What you know about clutches?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What you know about clutches?

Primary, just like the one pictured.

How much use has it seen?

So, the CPP clutch is essentially just a TEAM clutch. They sell them for the same price as well from their website. 1" & 1 1/8" straight shafts, and one for taper shaft. All same price. The thing with a taper shaft is, I will have to get everything exact for measurements when I get the machine shop to do my PTO plate & shaft for the Yanmar. With straight shaft I can just put some spacers in to adjust. I'm trying to find a Canadian distributor that's not far. If I can save on shipping and import fees, that helps a bit.

Doing some research on TEAM clutches, you can get weights that are adjustable. They have three different weight locations, and I guess that's how you can adjust for engagement rpm and shift point. They do offer one on their site that comes with adjustable weights. Might be worth a look. I'd probably rather get one from TEAM than CPP.

On another note, Jim, can we get a picture of that Gator clutch? What machine is it off of?

Team just started a retail website and that's where to buy them now for sure. the weights and spring combos lets you control engagement and bite/torque needs. they have great tech support and will match a kit for Your application.

Figured I should post this here to get more exposure:

Thought I'd give the primary clutch another try after the penetrating oil worked its magic for a few weeks. Put an electrical cord down the cylinder (couldn't find any rope in the shop) and gave the clutch a good twist and it screwed right off! Now, the question is, should I use it again? It is worn a bit down where the belt engages. What do you guys think? Is it too worn?*

Also, the bushing is gonna need some love. It is just flopping loose on the shaft, and you can tell it has been for a while. If I can run this for a bit, then upgrade to a TEAM roller clutch later, I think that might get the green light from the wifey. *

Rudy,

I hate to say it but that's really really sad and ya you could run it, but I'm thinking a newer commet may be a less expensive option than the TEAM one and if it works well for quite some time a TEAM one may come along later. Who knows you may not even need a TEAM roller one if the commet works well enough for you.

I'm quite impressed how well mine is and how it reacts to minor tuning adjustments.

Maybe if a commet worked, that $$ saved by not getting the roller one would be put elsware????
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

hi
    eratic gear change from that clutch , way way to much wear and tare .
    Unfortunately its toast ..

tomo

RW, what's a comet run for $$? How adjustable is it? I'm not looking for something to win drag races with, just something that will work, and that I'll be able to dial in to what I'm doing.

I'm sorry I keep bringin' up those clutches, the best products and winning drag races go hand N hand but does not mean that they don't have real World applications. If its just about the money rather than functionality and durability then the Comet or its Chinese manufacture is the way to go.

Sorry, I'll shut up now...

Lol! I like to know all my options before I make a decision. I do love the TEAM clutch, as it seems to be the best choice for my application, without looking at prices. I don't know what a Comet runs for $$$, but I know they've been in clutches for a long time. Though, I guess that's not saying much, as certain car manufacturers can't seem to get it together after 100 years of design and R&D. Either way, just fishing for ideas, as that's the only way to make an educated decision.

If a comet is $300, and a TEAM is $400, I'd still go for the TEAM. But.... they seem to be ignoring my inquiries for the last few weeks. My money's not good enough for them I suppose???

+ Reply to Thread