Briggs and stratton 18hp help please

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Briggs and stratton 18hp help please

Hi Guys
    Still working on my Max II, does any one have a picture of were I should look for the wires that stops the engine? mines a 2001 model, it starts fine but will not turn off on the key, posted this a bit back, but not had time to sort it again untill now.
    Richie

Hi Again.
    Been trying to find the fault why it will not shut down, after raseing the top, now its not starting!! tried a screw driver cross solioid and nothing! checked wires seem ok, now totally lost!
    Richie

Hi Guys
    I been trying to find why I cant turn my engine off on the key, raised the top, now it will not start on the key!!! ehhh tried a screw driver across the solinoid and nothing just trys to weld the screw driver down lol, check wireing seems to be ok, but now totally lost any help would be great thanks
    Richie

Sounds like a bad ground maybe. Or your key switch pulled out of the wiring.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Hi Wiggy, sorry I don't have anything conclusive to offer but I'll say what i think.

1) I think you have 2 separate problems.

2) I'll guess the elec circuit is not providing the ground to the ignition to stop the spark. Why,IDK,just have to follow wires.

3) Again,just a hunch,but I'll guess the starter is seized or worn to the point that the brushes are each touching two commutator plates at the same time. This tries to run the motor in both directions at the same time. A stalled DC motor looks like a dead short in the circuit. That's why it wants to use your screwstick for an arc welding electrode.

Again,sorry I don't have anything more certain to tell you. Best wishes,hope ya get it figured out.

Thanks for replying, can I do any checks befor removing the starter motor? seems funny it was working ok till the top was raised?
    Richie

Unfortunatly,I don't think so. The screwdriver is already showing us that there is little,if any,resistance value. I don't think the helix on the starter is very accessible without removing it to see if it turns freely. I will go out on a limb here and say that I don't think it had anything to do with raising the hood,lol. Been around industrial equipment almost 40 years and have seen many similar "coincidences".

Make sure you have a good connection at the battery and the solenoid. Is your battery charged and good? Are you sure? A dead cell can drop off instantly.

There are wiring diagrams on the home page in the manuals section. Trace your wires if needed, as Drew stated, wires may just be off at switch to shut down and excite the solenoid.

Thanks guys, so the starter needs to come off? are they serviceable? or a bin job? I have new battery coming tomorrow for my other max II,so I can check with that one, I did have a look at the wiring diagrams but was not 100% sure which was mine

I am not sure what problem you picked up when you raised the top. It sounds like you may have disturbed a power termination somewhere. I was going to recommend that you check all of the wires going in and out of the ignition switch. I found a loose one on my Max IV after just a few hours of operation. One of the female clip connectors had backed off of the blade on the switch body. I don't know if I caused it when I was looking around in there or it was just not seated all the way when they built the machine.

It probably wouldn't hurt to go through your machine and check all of the connections from the battery, through the ignition switch, and out to the end devices. Make sure you check your ground connections too.

+ Reply to Thread