Sleeving a T-20

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sleeving a T-20

Sleeving a T-20

Hello everyone!

I will start by saying that I'm a little more than frustrated at the moment with the T-20 that resides in my Hustler! I had an issue with shifting into reverse for over two years now. My diamond shifter holes were worn pretty bad. I have replaced the diamond shifters twice before purchasing a used set of t-20 cases just weeks prior to the fall Busco ride. The "new to me but used" cases allowed me to shift smoothly during the weekend of the ride, but I was losing transmission fluid like crazy. Yup, you guessed it,,,, the plunger holes on the "new to me but old cases" were worn, so, thanks to Lewis for letting me use his small funnel, and about 2 quarts of tranny fluid, I was still able to ride and have fun. So now I'm ready to fix the issue without having to break the "hobby bank". The solution is to sleeve my old casing, both the diamond and plunger/brake band holes. The problem that I'm facing is the resources to accurately drill or bore the holes to accept brass or stainless sleeving! Does anyone know of a member or business that I can ship my cases to, that will drill/bore the holes. If there is a member that can, I will supply the sleeves and of course shipping and labor is not an issue so far as that I don't break my "hobby bank"!! I do appreciate any and all responses!

Fred
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

This is just a suggesting but maybe you can sleeve the plungers themselves. It would be easier to press them into something and cut them down with a lathe. That is something any engine machine shop could do for you. Might even be cheaper too.
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Thanks for the reply smudvapor, I never considered that route! I beleive that it would be cheaper!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

If you go "that route" you will probably want to ream the cases as the aluminum is likely wore as opposed to the plungers.
    The other route would probably be somewhere in Arizona.

As long as the holes are not out of round from wear, making the plungers bigger should work. I've got a lot of friends in the machining industry Fred, if you don't find a solution call me and I'll set you up with someone in savannah.. Norm

Fred, check the plunger holes for scoring. I had a case once that I took a brake cyl hone to ($2.99 tool) and cleaned it right up. I have also seen early cases with plunger sleeves epoxied in place.

I see quite a few factory cases with sleeves. I believe these were mostly poor castings that were repaired insted of scrapped. I would contact whipper for any ideas. Honing the bores will usually remove the scratches with out making them to much oversize.

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-11-2016 at 06:36 PM.

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-11-2016 at 06:34 PM.

Hey Fred, I bought one set of double o-ring plungers from RI a couple years ago and used them in two T-20s. Seems to me that you only really need them on the lower plungers.

Just an FYI to save the "hobby bank."
    Banned

+ Reply to Thread