1968 Terra Tiger Drive Clutch - Grabs too quickly (when idling)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1968 Terra Tiger Drive Clutch - Grabs too quickly (when idling)

1968 Terra Tiger Drive Clutch - Grabs too quickly (when idling)

New to the forum. Just picked up a really nice little Terra Tiger with a JLO L-252L motor in it. The previous owner did a great job of fixing it up. The only issue I seem to have is that I can't seem to get it to idle without taking off. The main drive clutch (torque converter) belt seems to have enough slack in it when I rotate the clutch by hand that it doesn't catch. But as soon as I start it up it kicks into gear big time and I have to hold the brake down to keep it from getting away from me. It may just be that I need to clean out the carb as it may be running too lean. I tried to lower the idle speed, but then it just dies out. Any thoughts?

One other question which may or may not pertain to the drive clutch or steering clutches. - I know that the Terra Tiger doesn't have a neutral gear... but is there any trick to moving it when the motor is off. I'm a pretty big guy and have trouble pushing this thing more than a couple of feet. Just trying to figure out if it should be this hard to move as all the wheel chains are connected.. or if I might be doing something wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    THANKS! Paul

* I'm in Northern California (close to SF) if there happens to be any other Terra Tiger owners out this way I'd love to exchange tricks and tips!

photo.jpg

I would check the belt width first. I had the same problem with mine when, when I put it all back together my drive belt was to wide. And yes they really are that hard to push, mine has all new bearings and bushings and by myself I have all I can do to get it out of the shop.

ahhh yes - i think you may be right! the belt that's on there is about 1 1/4" and there's a spare belt hooked up on the side which is about 5/8". I'll bet that one is the right size.
    Thanks so much! - Paul

+ Reply to Thread