attex fuel tank

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: attex fuel tank

attex fuel tank

a couple questions on the attex gas tank. how does it come out? (i could figure it out if i could get in the machine and look, but the tub currently has lots of soft abs repair goo in it) anyone have a good way of cleaning the inside of the tank? this one looks like it has about a gallon of REALLY OLD fuel in it. probably a little rust too. where does the fuel line attach, and where is the pickup located in the tank. also, how is the fuel line routed to the back of the machine. my machine had no fuel line when i got it. thanks for your help guys
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

There should just be two metal straps that bolt onto the dash and also on the front of the machine either onto a piece of steel that goes across the machine and is riveted under the headlights or it attaches to the front of the grille. There isn't a pickup in the tank, rather there is a pulse fuel pump in the back of the machine that mounts onto the engine cover hinge. As far as cleaning the tank out, I would probably say to take it to a radiator repair shop after you drain all of the old fuel out. Good luck with it.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

On the ST models I think you have to drill the rivets out of the dash that hold the tank bracket in place. There will be carriage bolts towards the front that hold the two tank bands together and they will have to come out, too. To clean out the old goop I empty as much out as will come out, then spray about half a can of carb cleaner into the tank, throw in a half-dozen 1/4" X 3/4" bolts (I save them, they're special) and shake the heck out of the tank. Eventually, the inside of the tank will be pristine.

There should be a bulkhead connection at the left top of the tank that the fuel line attaches to, and the pick-up is attached to a shorter line on the other side of the bulkhead. The other end of the short line is attached to a brass pick-up that sits at the bottom of the tank. The fuel line usually goes to a shut-off on the dash, then through the left side upper body cavity and back to the fuel pump.

Hope this helped.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    On the ST models I think you have to drill the rivets out of the dash that hold the tank bracket in place. There will be carriage bolts towards the front that hold the two tank bands together and they will have to come out, too. To clean out the old goop I empty as much out as will come out, then spray about half a can of carb cleaner into the tank, throw in a half-dozen 1/4" X 3/4" bolts (I save them, they're special) and shake the heck out of the tank. Eventually, the inside of the tank will be pristine.

There should be a bulkhead connection at the left top of the tank that the fuel line attaches to, and the pick-up is attached to a shorter line on the other side of the bulkhead. The other end of the short line is attached to a brass pick-up that sits at the bottom of the tank. The fuel line usually goes to a shut-off on the dash, then through the left side upper body cavity and back to the fuel pump.

Hope this helped.

Hey Racerone, when you asked about the fuel pickup I was thought that you were refering to a type of fuel pump unit or something along those lines, sorry to confuse you and thank you Don for bringing this up.......I'm not sure, but is that bulkhead connection threaded for removal or is that pressed in? Also, I never thought about the carb cleaner and bolts idea to clean the tank out. I have a couple of old metal tanks and I am certainly going to try this on! Great tip, Don, and it is much cheaper than taking it somewhere to be done.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

thanks don, and no problem on the confusion JP. i had heard of throwing an old chain in a gas tank with soapy water and shaking the heck out of it, so same idea... the reason i ask about the pick up is that it's probably cloged, sitting at the bottom of all that fuel. so, don... like jp asked, is the pickup line removable?????
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I think there's a soldered-in fitting in the tank that the bulkhead screws into, so all you have to do is unscrew the bulkhead and the line with the pick-up on the end should come out as a unit.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

+ Reply to Thread