Max ii help please

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max ii help please

Max ii help please

Hi Guys
    Merry Xmas to all, I was out on my Max II yesterday, and today checked chains, has i was getting a funny sound like a chain rubbing on metal ect, one chain was a bit lose front drive wheel, when i press the adjusters, one setting it reaaly lose and the next is tight. very little play in chain, any ideas? also i have another Max II had a bent axle, another member got it best he could straight with a very slight wobble on axle, I fitted it ran it with wheels off the ground and the outer bearing is moving in it flange, will this cause problems to outer bearing or damage anything else?
    On the other side of the Max, I have play in the outer middle bearing, how hard are these to change? any tips? had a pig of a time with the removing the bent axle.

Richie
    Last edited by wiggy; 12-29-2014 at 06:20 AM.

Sounds like it's bearing time for you. I just went through it with my Max ll. Mine doesn't have inner bearings, just bushings. I can't imagine a bad outer bearing not eventually having a negative impact on an inner bearing. They aren't too difficult to change. Left rear is a PIA. Mike has a great "How To" change the bearings video in believe it or not: The How To section. P. S. Check your jackshaft alignment for that rubbing issue. Mine was off quite a bit and I could hear it when it was running in gear up on blocks. Luckily I caught it in time. Have fun, and Happy New Year.
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

Hi Richie, Outlaw1 summed it up pretty well. Most likely the noise was a bearing. If you have one moving in the flange, that is definitely a problem that needs to be fixed before you drive it anymore. If the bent axle is causing it, either straighten the axle better or replace it. Here is the video that Outlaw1 was referencing: How to Replace Bearings in your 6x6
    For the chain adjusters, just because of the way they are designed to ratchet, you will usually have one setting too tight and one too loose. Once your chains get loose enough that they need to be tightened, just choose the tighter setting. They will be fine. Just make sure you have your tires off the ground while tightening the chains.

Hi Outlaw1 and Mike
    Thanks for replys, will check them out, thanks again, and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.
    Richie

+ Reply to Thread