1971 KID 8x8 Build -- Newbie

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: 1971 KID 8x8 Build -- Newbie

I buy and sell aatvs all the time and my luck with old 8x8s are rough I really honestly hope that your luck is better!!!

pengor penguin - Those of us who own Kids are kind of fond with their engineering/construction. Unlike many commercial machines, these mil spec units are quite beefy. I don't want to challenge your assessment, but am curious. Is your opinion at all based on any experience with these LTV 8x8s?

I see a nonrunnin kid 8x8 online for 600 but I'm too far away

So after getting the KID up and running a couple things have happened. The rear output PTO shaft seal went out. I found that my set screw on the PTO shaft let loose and allowed the PTO shaft to slide back causing the seal to go bad. Got that replaced. Then I noticed the engine was really doggy after reading forums on the Wisconsin. Found the Wisconsin to be really sensitive to timing and valves adjusted. So I tore the engine down to find the valves out of adjustment, by a lot. Also found an exhaust leak in the process. Got the valves adjusted to spec. installed new spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Then found the distributor to be retarded to much and not aligned with #1. Got it started and could tell a difference immediately. Engine sounded smoother and not so loud. Then the real test, driving it. Wow. this is a completely different machine now, I can actually feel all 30hp out of that Wisconsin. it cuts donuts without hardly dragging the engine down now and I think I got it up to 20 mph. I did a couple more water tests with it. having some trouble uploading the video. This is an absolute blast to drive around now. I really want to see what this thing can do in some deep mud. we will see if that can be next weekend! Starting to debate whether or not I should sell this thing now.

That KId sounds awesome, cant wait to see the video of it in action.

Thank you so much for the bearing number. I have a kid 8x8 that I'm rebuilding from the ground up

+ Reply to Thread