Won't stay running

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Won't stay running

Won't stay running

My first 6 wheeler, got it opened up this weekend and found some burned wires going to solenoid. Replaced and fixed some others. Cleaned chains and adjusted now it's not popping on turns. During cleaning got water on motor, also while hooking solenoid back up it cracked. Now it want stay running shuts off after few seconds. Will the solenoid cause this issue? The lights and amp meter aren't working either. Was getting shocked touching key prior to this.

I got shocks from my argo because of rain and all shorted. meant to stay dry havent been shocked since its been dry.

The popping while turning stands a good chance to be stretched chains, bad sprocket, or loose chain. Either way not a bad fix. As for the getting shocked, You probably need to find a wiring diagram to compare your harness to for a good place to start. What model do you have? Congratulations on your first machine, now lets get her straightened out so you can be as addicted as the rest of us lol.
    "coming through like a herd of turtles"

Thanks .. After getting everything cleaned up. Chains look real good, one chain was off the adjuster and the other adjuster opened all the way. Looks like everything tightened up really well. Going to get a new solenoid this weekend and try new battery. Any recommendations on what replacement solenoid to get ? Also what battery?

just about any solenoid can be made to work, but to keep it the easiest, just compare the terminals. As for the battery, i believe that factory max atvs used a lawn and garden type battery.

Quote Originally Posted by crashingone2002 View Post
    just about any solenoid can be made to work, but to keep it the easiest, just compare the terminals. As for the battery, i believe that factory max atvs used a lawn and garden type battery.
    Be sure it is a powered solenoid and not a grounded solenoid.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

argojim, did all the max's come with an insulated solenoid? My max iv has one, but looking at the wiring i assumed it to not be original equipment lol. By the way, your beer holder line is killing me!

Tecumseh and B&S had stand alone solenoids, Kohler and Kawasaki are on starter. As far as the shocking you are getting, sounds as if it's a crossed/shorted wire or ground fault.
    Check grounds to frame for battery, engine, solenoid (if needed). Note the engine mount is usually rubber mounted to frame.

As a last (or first) result check that a wire did not get put on the wrong terminal, i.e. feed wire on ground or ground on positive.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread