Attex Superchief

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attex Superchief

Attex Superchief

Probably a question that should not be asked,possibly crossing the line here so I need input,if it was you(best way of passing the buck)would you repower a original with A-a newer two stroke,B-a late model liquid EFI four stroke or C- stay original and source out new everything you can to rebuild the Chap motor,time has come to gather parts for a ground up.Cheers NCT

What are you going to be using it for? You've got a workhorse already so if it's just a toy for you, I think I would rebuild the existing two stroke and have some high-speed fun.

I would keep that one stock. If you want to build a resto-mod, I'm sure we could manage to find you another less original Attex which could be placed right outside of buffalo.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Bandolaro V-twin 4 stroke.
    Speed, power and reliability.

One thing to think about NCT is what you'll have to modify in order to switch over to (almost) any other engine in that machine. The height of the engine mount plate on your Superchief will require either changes to the engine cover to clear a modern V-twin or removal of the cover altogether (at which point you can make a new one, but you'll need to incorporate the seat back as well.) When Attex went to the 4-chain design from the six chain, they needed to raise the engine a bit for the left side center-to-rear chain.

There are ways to get around this by going with an Attex Tomahawk style engine mount (or maybe a Li'l truck? I don't know if they use similar mounts). The Tomahawk required a different clutch on the transmission and reversing the drive clutch to clear the chain. Not like you can't do all of this, it's just stuff to think about when swapping over.

Hmmm all points taken and understood,yes this one is considered a Toy,yes this one is a complete unmolested copy,I had considered the seat /engine cover as a complete removal and store the original, and fab a new setup with a rack,I guess standing around eyeballing a Kohler liquid fuelie that Iam pulling from the Avenger got me a little overzealous as to thinking what to stuff it in as opposed to selling the motor,as this is the year of two projects it would find the Attex down to the frame as well as the Avenger.And fact is when I went looking I specifically wanted a SC,so be it time to start looking for Chap parts and pieces too bad our dollar is worthless its going to be tough to find what I need here in particular a modern ignition system.Thanks for the input, fact is there is another machine sittin here with a lame duck 17 hp Briggs in it,that big Kohler sittin on the back of the Max IV might offset my weight when in the water.LOL Cheers NCT
    Last edited by North Country Tough; 03-24-2015 at 03:14 PM.

If you decide to rebuild the G50B, most of the parts you need can be found on ebay, including the CDI ignition. Right now, all I see are flywheels for the liquid-cooled models, but if you keep watch I'm sure some for the air-cooled engines will show up. The ignition is the same for both, but the flywheels for the liquid-cooled engines don't have a provision for a ring gear and you won't be able to use your electric start. Right now there are both NOS and aftermarket pistons listed for the engine. I've used both with good results. Good Luck, NCT.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

There was a G50B on eBay only a week or two ago. I think Dollars/HP they're still one of the cheapest ways to go very fast.

I've recently (over the last 2 months) picked up everything I needed to convert an engine to CDI at great prices. I think I spent $110 (shipping included) for a flywheel, stator and CDI box. Last week I picked up a tuned pipe for $50 shipped!

Just keep an eye on eBay.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    There was a G50B on eBay only a week or two ago. I think Dollars/HP they're still one of the cheapest ways to go very fast.

I've recently (over the last 2 months) picked up everything I needed to convert an engine to CDI at great prices. I think I spent $110 (shipping included) for a flywheel, stator and CDI box. Last week I picked up a tuned pipe for $50 shipped!

Just keep an eye on eBay.
    Thanks Geo,I surfed the EBay today as well as a couple antique/classic sled sites in search,going to have to have a chin wag with a acquaintance or two south of de border and get some green backs banked down there as it seems that's the spot to find what I need,wanna do the full pull from crank bearings to spark plugs,and would like to put a pair of 34 Mikeys on at the same time,throttle cable would be a little tricky,but here I couldn't even find a gasket set.

For Cables you might want to reach out to these guys. I sent them old cables and they made new ones and just kept the sleeves.

Welcome to TerryCable - Racing Products
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

+ Reply to Thread