replacing front chains

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: replacing front chains

replacing front chains

so ive replaced all the drive chains on my 2 previous argo's,both with the top body removed.was a really easy job.now im in the midst of replacing the front chains in my HDI without the body separated.ive got one old chain removed and one new chain stuck between the sprocket and the lower body.how in the heck do you get this job done easily?got to be an easy way to get this job done.

cheers

Pay ARGOJIM.

at this point,gladly.whats the going rate for a service call? lol

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Pay ARGOJIM.

LOL - probably just went up.

I'm guessing that the problem is the chain bunches into a pile when you try and get it to thread through the tunnel. (assuming the HDI is similar to a conquest - which I would have no idea)
    I also assume that you were able to get to the master links so there is a bit of space where you can function.

It is much easier to pull chain through than push it. I think if you would have pulled a bit of string or light rope as you pulled the chain out you could use it to pull the new chain in. I would try and get some string/rope up around the front axle to help me get the chain up there.

I've made some assumptions of the problem so I should ask: what seems to be the problem?

your assuptions are correctamundo sir.biggest obstacles today are being fat,having a sore foot plus a real bad cold lol.the string idea sounds ok and maybe a coat hanger to snag an end.was hoping there was a magical procedure to this task.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    LOL - probably just went up.

I'm guessing that the problem is the chain bunches into a pile when you try and get it to thread through the tunnel. (assuming the HDI is similar to a conquest - which I would have no idea)
    I also assume that you were able to get to the master links so there is a bit of space where you can function.

It is much easier to pull chain through than push it. I think if you would have pulled a bit of string or light rope as you pulled the chain out you could use it to pull the new chain in. I would try and get some string/rope up around the front axle to help me get the chain up there.

I've made some assumptions of the problem so I should ask: what seems to be the problem?

Got another quick tip for you, when installing the link in the chain, use a good zip tie or two to hold the two ends together. Then if you need to take a break or turn the tires to get more slack in the chain, the zip tie will hold or keep tightening until the link slips right in. Worked very well for me, hope it helps you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SHOTGUN View Post
    Got another quick tip for you, when installing the link in the chain, use a good zip tie or two to hold the two ends together. Then if you need to take a break or turn the tires to get more slack in the chain, the zip tie will hold or keep tightening until the link slips right in. Worked very well for me, hope it helps you!!!
    It is even a pain for this fat guy. Re-chained the conquest this winter. Zip ties are very helpful, zip tie the end of the chain together and use the long tail as a handle to pull the chain around. I usually get my daughter to turn the tire to help feed chain. To join the chain i use two long screwdrivers and put them in an x to pull chain tight. Can easily push in a master link by hand.

thanks guys,got the chain unstuck and a zip tie on.been trying to get my modified vice grips locked on but that's real tough to do.gotta leave it alone for the night before I lose my crap.imagine doing that in the bush with your azz hanging out getting chewed by skitter bugs? there would be a fire for sure.

I used a length of hay wire looped through the links on the back end, after splitting the master link and pull it out from the bottom, behind the drive gear.. As I have always left my tracks on, I just get my son to slowly move it forward to feed it off the front sprocket.. We take our time and make sure nothing is binding.. So far it's worked like a charm..

Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    so ive replaced all the drive chains on my 2 previous argo's,both with the top body removed.was a really easy job.now im in the midst of replacing the front chains in my HDI without the body separated.ive got one old chain removed and one new chain stuck between the sprocket and the lower body.how in the heck do you get this job done easily?got to be an easy way to get this job done.

cheers

Sorry plott haven't been following this, a pointer for next time; dab of grease on the sprocket, chain on, hold it up/back a tad to guide it, roll tire quick and it should come around and hit the chain again, lay it on the bottom keeping stretched ,and using screwdriver or fingers, slide it back just past idler and pick it up/over idler (keeping stretched while rolling tire). Now it's close to connectable and un-bunched, this is harder with tracks and the side you're working on should be jacked up.
    Last edited by ARGOJIM; 03-28-2015 at 07:10 PM.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread