How to remove the pulley on T20

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to remove the pulley on T20

How to remove the pulley on T20

I need to remove the pulley from my Max IV I have 2 mounting bolts broken off on that side of the tranny I have the transmission out. What a pain this is gonna be!

Remove the center bolt and stand the trany on right end. Put penetrating oil (PB blaster,aero kroil ect)in the open end of the clutch and let sit over its is best. On the MaxIV you have 2 washers behind the clutch. You can pry with 2 bars between those washers and the hub of the clutch. If it won't move that way get a piece of shaft preferably aluminum just under 7/8" about 4" long. (Yes Ive used a deep socket in the field ). Place the shaft in the clutch against the input shaft and rap with a hammer. Works best if you have someone holding the clutch taking the weight off t20. Broken bolts are very common and usually come out with heat after drilling. Most had locktite on them but a handheld propane torch will heat the case enough to release it. What year is your vehicle?

hi thanks for the info. I had tried and tried to weld a big chizel between the washer you refer to and tap it with a hammer. It appeared to be moving for a while but I think it was just pushing the back closer to the front half of the clutch. At one point I could see part of the key. but it moved back. Thats why I think the back half only is moving. I couldnt find any penatrating oil in my garage for tonight so I poured some motor oil in it. I would think heat might melt the aluminum housing? I have a torch. But these are down the the housing maybe 1/2". I figured I would have to drill a hole and you an ease out? it is a 2000 model.

oh i missed the part about lock tite. I had the transmission out a bout a tear ago and i didnt put lock tite on the bolt. Not sure why they broke.

i even tried to pull a little on the pulley with a gear puller but was afraid i might bend it so stopped.

When the bolt broke on mine I used two sizes of crowbars to get the clutch to come off. It took quite a bit if muscle to pry it off.
    The idea of a thinner aluminum shaft inserted in the clutch bolt hole, with the trans resting on it, and taping the the clutch off is a neat idea.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Sounds like you were compressing the clutch spring alright, no harm done. Next trick is shaft in clutch and have someone with gloves on hold the trany off the floor, then drive the shaft out of the clutch. Worse case the T20 has to come apart and clutch with input shaft go into a press to remove. I don't even fight the tight ones that I'm tearing down. Plus side of a tear down is the case fits in a drill press to remove broken bolts. I've only had one that I was forced to tear down. 50/50 acetone and ATF mix make the best penetrating fluid I've ever used. Does your frame have bolt holes or slots at the lower mount bolts? If they are bolt holes your frame has the first upgrade(was around 2000). I would suggest adding the front brackets the factory added in 2008. They weld in and I have several or drawings to make your own. I haven't found a broken mount bolt on a vehicle with the front ears yet. I prefer square screw extractors to the twisted ones as they tend to expand the broken part. Good luck

Here are a couple pictures showing a proven method for removing a stubborn clutch....

I like to use a long brass or aluminum drift down the bolt hole, aided by a 3-1/2# sledge.... they usually give in after a few blows.

I've broken bolts with the ears on and I believe Max IV Mark has as well. To be fair though, we both ripped the ears off when bolts broke.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

ok guy clutch off and bolts out. heres what I did. After msafi65 suggestion heres what I did. I soaked with pernitratung oil all night. I stood over the tranny with both feet against the clutch on the back side while straddling the tranny. I put a deep sock with a long extension in the shaft hole. I took a huge sledge hammer and drover the shaft out of the pulley. The craftsman extension was destroyed when I was done but I did not care. The get the bolts out I drilled a very small hole then a bigger hole and got the first bolt out easy with a easy out. The next one I spent hours. Even heating with a torch. I finally destroyed the end of the easy out trying to turn it. I was afraid it was going to break. So then I run to Lowes and get another easy out the same size but I also bought the next size bigger. When I got home I thought about. I drill the bolt out bigger with the bit that came with the bigger easy out. I tapped it in and it came out pretty easy.
    I thought smaller would be better because the hole would be easier to drill. But after you get a small hole drill its fairly easy to drill a bigger hole. The bigger the easy out you can use the better I found out. Less risk of it breaking off and easier to turn. Thanks for everyones help. There was a point I think i cried lol it was not fun.

+ Reply to Thread