Trackster input ??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trackster input ??

Trackster input ??

Ok I am looking at a trackster and have always loved that machine ! its cool and like a mini tank.
    Its All stock unmodified. Has good tracks and runs and drives . What should I look for ?
    Also would like the Pro,s and Con,s on this machine. only have funds for 1 machine 1

I had one about 25 years ago. It was a great machine and would go anywhere although it was not amphibious. It had a 2 cycle engine and took a lot to keep it running well. I see people are now swapping the 2 cycle out for a 4. I think that would make it a first rate machine. Other than the engine I never had any trouble with it. Wish I'd kept it now.

Correct they don't float without a flotation ring. Found that our the hard way. The two strokes were noisy and jerky. The ones I've driven with 4 stroke conversions are a bit slower but a lot smoother to operate. Had a chance to buy a whole yard full last year but didn't need that many projects.

So maybe I am too late with this one to add value but here it goes. I have had this Trackster for the past few years and I really like the machine. It is fantastic in really bad mud, I take mine into swamp area all the time and have never been able to get it stuck. I have taken it to places that even tracked 4 wheelers struggle due to lack of floatation. It is also good in really tight areas, tight trails, or things where the hydrostatic drive can excel.
    I did swap to a 4 stroke which was super helpful for having a machine that would actually run for more than 10 minutes but it did really knock down the top speed. It is awful on open trails, if a 4 wheeler can take the trail you would rather have that then the trackster just because it takes forever to cross an open field. Probably not a consideration in PA but in NY I can take the machine on the snowmobile trails without the snowmobiliers freaking out, not the same case for the wheeled guys. This opens up a ton of trails especailly at the begining and the end of the season when the snowmobiles can't or wont go out (mud areas, or grass spots).
    One con is there is a lot of parts to the track system. It isn't complicated and I don't have any functional issues with mine even though I have quite a few maintenance problems I need to address. I can't say if that is any better or worse than the chain problems the wheeled guys deal with. Another con is the thing is big and heavy, it seems like it is always in my way in the garage and you can't roll it out of the way, hydrostats don't like to be pushed.
    A pro in my book is they are pretty much fully depreciated. Unless you get hosed on the price it is worth what it's worth. I am guessing it is up for sale between $1-4K depending on condition. If you keep it in the same condition it will be worth the same price so you are getting to play for free. I think some of the newer machines are still depreciating whether you ride it or not. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Nick

Thank you Nick !

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Although I have been completely through mine, I would say if it is driveable then it should be a good deal if they are not asking a high price. As Nick said parts are in no way cheap and there is a ton of them. 48 bogie wheels, 24 bogie bearings, their respective carrier assemblies, and a myriad of other odds and ends. At the Cushman trackster homepage you can download the owners, parts and service manuals to familiarize yourself with the machines various components. This might also help you know what things to look for before buying. Keep in mind that the drive system will be VERY expensive to have rebuilt, if ever necessary, as high as $4k depending on where it is sent and how far you need to go with it. I did a replace as necessary rebuild and that alone was $750 plus $170 for ups to kick the hydro's to and from the builder. Add to that another $350 for all bearings seals and gaskets for me to build the transmission. I have a couple of lathes and such so I was able to build the required tooling for installing the bearings and seals. Looking back my machine was way too far gone for anything other than saving a good Honda GX 620 and a few bogies. And although it is driveable now and we are doing the usual "after build bug killing" I have yet to truly test it for fear of something breaking... It has however been the biggest build it challenge of my life.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

+ Reply to Thread