New Max II redesign?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New Max II redesign?

I agree on a softer seat. Even a spring loaded seat might be nice. Chains? Use quality chains. Larger tires.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

A new seat, seriously? That's something anyone can do at home in a few hours and chain maintaince isn't the issue. The amount of maintaining that a chain requires is the issue. If a belt system was designed there wouldn't be a need for the maintenance. All belt manufactures say a belt last "at least" 3 times longer. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Gates carbon drive set up on the max or something similar? Why would anyone choose to do more manual labor? Wouldn't you rather be riding?

Hmmm, a belt driven Max. Sounds like we are going back to Max #1 here.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Look at all the aatvs over the years including "the big three". Chain drive. The first Max II used belts, but did not stay with belts. I figure its a fair guess to say at least one manufacturer would be selling a machine with belts and, as it was put, sell tripple the vehicles. But there are none. Might be something there about belts.

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    Hmmm, a belt driven Max. Sounds like we are going back to Max #1 here.
    You got it, Drew. This was already done 45 years ago. There were other AATVs that were completely belt driven from the late 60's. Mud Puppy and Multimobile are ones that come to mind.

And by the way, about the, "go out and buy a brand new machine." I could easily go and do that, but instead I just have a bunch of motorcycles and 6 wheelers that I BUILT to be as good and/or better than new (I didn't just go out and buy them brand new). A bunch of my friends here on the site did the same thing and it seems to be working out pretty well for us.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I was unaware of a belt driven, factory built max. What type of belt was used? Regular V belt, or synchronous? Do we know why it failed? I'm interested to actually learn why. I'd like to know what I'm missing because I can't see why or how a modern cogged belt can fail in this application. Was there a real effort to make an effective sub floor that would stop crap from falling in the tub that could compromise the belt?

the 45yo max design was belt driven with out a transmition (all v-belt driven) however a cog drive from axle to axle sounds
    like a great idea. less vibration and wear for sure.

I totally agree, with today's modern belt and cogged sprocket technology this has a much better chance of succeeding now. Granted you would have to pull axles (assuming the factory frame does not change) to swap out a belt, and do away with regular roller bearings. But and imho this is a big one, a belt "could" last years before needing to be changed out. Look at the technology in the cogged sprockets and the self cleaning belts Gates uses in their "carbon drive" system. It cleans it self like a chain does, same strength or better in the same width as a chain, no adjustment needed since they don't stretch, lasts at least three times longer. I like to tinker just as much as the rest of us but I dispize fixing something over and over and over. I get accused of "overkill" when I make something but in doing so it rarely needs to be fixed, ever again. To me the definition of tinker isn't regarded as working on the same thing over and over, it's to get the chance to tinker with lots of things. Who can do that if ur constantly fixing the same darn thing?

I wonder if a kit could be made to retro fit current models? Gotta start this belt drive some where.

+ Reply to Thread