'99 Max IV, POP then left turn only, then no go at all?!?!?!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: '99 Max IV, POP then left turn only, then no go at all?!?!?!

Question '99 Max IV, POP then left turn only, then no go at all?!?!?!

Hi, '99 Max IV, I was driving this evening, not driving hard at all, I started making a slight left turn and I heard a POP, then after a few feet, the vehicle would not turn right, but would turn left, then after about 20 more feet, it wouldn't move at all.

I briefly checked all the chains and the belt, and those look ok. What do you think has happened to our beloved Max?!?!? She sits out in the yard right now. Fortunatley this didn't happen way back in the woods!

sounds like you broke the main drive chain or your t 20 let go. i would think it would be a chain . first .
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

I would pull your T-20 apart and check it out. If all the chains are good, it was most likely a band in your transmission. I am from Buffalo too, and so are quite a few other folks on the site, so if you need help with it, just let us know.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks for the info! I got her pulled into the garage (wow this thing is tricky to tow since it so much prefers to go straight than to turn!).

The left side drive chain off the T20 is off the main sprocket. But it looks to me like the sprocket is out of line with the T20 output and the idler.....what do you think? Maybe the main drive sprocket walked on the shaft or something? The pic on the right is the right output, the main drive sprocket looks out of line with the idler and T20 output here too but it didn't pop the chain (yet?)
    .......left side, chain is off.............................................ri ght side.........

The T20 output sprockets seem solid, no freeplay noted?

Here is a pic of the recon mission, getting the angle right so I can push the Max IV into the garage. It pushes easily but you sure can't turn it by hand singlehandedly so you have to get the angle perfect! Also I am a big Subaru fan.

If you look closely the sprockets themselves appear to be straight but the chain is what makes it look angled. You can see the teeth get closer to the chain on the inside the further down the picture you look.

Check the axles to see if they are held in place and not trying to come out?

Looks like your rear axle sprockets have come loose. The original splined axles had set screws that allowed the sprockets to walk out of alignment. New splined axles have a snap ring on each side of the double sprocket to hold it firmly in place. You can machine grooves into your axles and install the snap rings.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to check out the axles. I yanked on the rear wheels and I didn't notice any freeplay. The main drive sprockets do look out of line when looking in person, it's kind of harder to see in the pics. I'm thinking I could cut grooves in the axle splines with a dremel maybe to put on snap rings? Also the chain has rubbed on the idler sprocket bracket on one side and worn it to about half its original thickness.

I'm thinking the engine and the engine stand has to come out to really get in there to work? Or maybe just take out the rear seat? It seems tight working underneath the engine stand though. Any idea what this engine weighs, this is the 25HP Kohler. I highly doubt I can lift it out by myself

Harbor Freight had their 1 ton cherry picker on sale but the sale ended yesterday and my local HF was out of stock on it. Oh well they have those on sale all the time.

I pulled my engine and cradle as one unit. It only takes about 30 minutes. Stand inside the machine (with the back seat removed). Lift the cradle and engine and set (balance it) on the rear of the machine, get out and lift it the rest of the way out. Bend our knees to set it on the floor.

Like liflod mentioned, you should be able to lift the engine yourself. I lifted mine out of my Max II with no problem and it sits much lower in the tub than yours. The T20 on the other hand is a lot heavier if you ever have to remove it, it will be harder to do by yourself.

Smile Lifting t-20

Umm,I think the t-20 weighs 90 lbs. I can lift mine,for a minute haha
    The 25 Kohler weighs a bit more than that without the engine platform, and the little feet try to hang up on the motor mount bolts. Lance is very fit and wirey and now I know,very strong.

+ Reply to Thread