Hustler 950 Restoration

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hustler 950 Restoration

Hustler 950 Restoration

So after about a year and a half of Hustler parts all over my garage, it has finally come far enough along that I can start posting about it and showing off some of the custom hack jobs and pictures. I had no idea what I was getting into but this forum was a HUGE help!!

Here are some of the build pics in my gallery:
    Hustler 6x6 - Amphibious ATV Pictures

Here is a video I took from it this past weekend:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iQ1RJ6kK0M

Some of the steps I've taken to get this far:

-All new chains and bearings
    -Sandblasted the entire frame and axles, the thing was a rust bucket.
    -Repaired multiple large cracks and holes in the tub
    -New chain tensioners
    -New battery
    -all new wiring and cables
    -Rebuilt the t-20, bearings, seals and O-rings (still leaks, I need to crack it open again)
    -Replaced the Rotax 400cc 2-stroke, It smoked pretty bad and around here lakes have banned 2-strokes anyway.
    -Swapped it with a 670cc 22HP Predator Chinese motor. The swap was pretty clean but the exhaust was pointing the wrong direction so I had to cut and re-weld it.
    -I had to rebuild the rear engine cover, previous owners hacked it up pretty good.
    -I replaced and re upholstered the back seat.
    -Made Aluminum diamond plate rear floor and kick panel
    -Replaced the front bench seat with Razor bucket seats
    -sealed and waterproofed the axels and other holes
    -Painted all metal surfaces to keep it from rusting out again

To do still:
    -Register the thing.
    -Mount the 6 new Argo AT189 tires
    -Come up with some sort of latch for the engine cover
    -Wire up the winch
    -LED Lightbar
    -Sump pump

Looks good. One suggestion I would make is to improve the T-20 mount. They are bad at twisting out of the stock mount. Every hustler does it and it needs to be corrected before it causes more issues. Check out the photo gallery for ideas to improve yours. Jpswift, hydromike, raceone3, don, amphibious drew, myself and others have all improved our hustlers t-20 mount.

Yea, I agree. One of those welded brackets would be nice. I currently have it held down with metal straps. I will post a pic when I get back into town. Once I get the scrap metal and some time I will have to upgrade it.

How have you guys been securing your engine compartments? Whoever modded this thing last put the hinges in the front, it looks like stock was hinged in the back.

Great looking Hustler! Welcome to the alumni, and it seems that the Predator moves the big heavy beast very well! Our Hustlers are so heavy!! I hope to ride with you one day!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

So seating the AT189 tires on the hustler stock rims was a chore. The rims are 11" wide where the AT189 tires I got are 10" (24"outer diameter). I figured that 1 inch wouldn't be a problem and all my searches on this site didn't say that they wouldn't fit... after several failed attempts at blowing up my garage with a blow torch and starting fluid, the ratchet strap I had around the center was too puny and actually exploded shooting violently and dangerously 30 feet out into the street. I eventually was able to get 1 tire seated but I ended up going to a shop for the rest of them. Which still took a lot of work blasting them multiple times with the 5 gal air compressor dump valve thing. -nuts. Anyways, I got them all on and I am crazy excited to take it swimming for the first time.

I am also having a rough time registering this thing. There is no VIN so I have had to get a VIN inspection from an OHV dealer and then a VIN assignment inspection from the DMV here in NV and because it is a 4 seater I need liability insurance on it. I now have to send off the packet of all the forms to the state capital to get it approved and get an actual VIN assigned. Ugh we will see how that goes. I was able to get a boat tag for it this morning, after explaining what it is, the lack of VIN thing and no manufacturer capacity plaque, and where I got it, they were nice enough to issue me a Hull Identification Number (HIN) with the appropriate stickers and such. So now it's a boat, but they were sure to mention that I can't take it to Lake Mead (the nearest body of water for a long while) because they dont allow OHV's so I'm ok to be on the water but I can't unload it to drive it in...

Oh, and I made a pretty 'epic' video of it.

https://youtu.be/Vq9PAAUYxvk
    Last edited by kidlatj; 07-21-2015 at 03:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread