Electric trolling motor

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric trolling motor

Electric trolling motor

I am thinking of buying an electric trolling motor for my 8x8 Avenger & was wondering if any of you guys are running these motors. The motor that I am looking at is a Minn Kota Endura 46 lb. thrust model. Would this model push my argo as fast as the tires, also would I need a battery upgrade?
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks

I have the MinnKota 35lb, and have upgraded to the Optima Yellow Top. I also keep my machine on a battery minder because it may sit for monthes between use.
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

I use 50lb thrust moter and it move my Bigfoot fine. tho I think it pulles it better then it pushes
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

I run a Minn Kota Endura 36

36 lbs thrust, 36" shaft on a Bigfoot. On highest speed, it will go about as fast as with the tires alone. Thats assuming calm conditions. You can always use the tires and the trolling motor together if you want to really make a wake! If you plan to run on open water or cover some major distance, go bigger for sure, 50 lbs sounds about right.

On a side note, I am only using the tiny little battery that shipped with the Bigfoot; with it I can use the electric motor on low speeds for hours on end; but if I run on high speed; it kills the battery in about an hour. (amen to the pull start on the engine!) Upgraded battery a must for any serious electric motoring... still looking into that one... how's the Optima Yellow Top working out for you?

I have an optima yellow in the argo , and in my jeep. They have both held up just fine. They will out perform any other battery I have seen yet. The one in the jeep will run my winch cable 150' 3/4 times with the motor off! That's about a 400amp draw, and 45seconds per 150' reel. The amperage these batteries hold is amazing! I have used the Military grade dry cell batteries, and they didn't take a beating like the Optima's have!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

I had an Optima red top in my Jeep Cherokee fail this weekend, it was only 2 years old. I'm not downing Optima batteries at all, I know they are much better than traditional batteries...I just wonder why? I have a high amp alternator that is only about a year old??
    Hammers should have warning labels.

what do you mean by "failed"?

HEnry
    Henry:
    I don't know where I'm going, but, I'm on my way...........

I had the same problem in my jeep but only when i put the 140 amp alternator in. If yours is like mine was [sold it] expect to change batteries every 2-3 years..Never found out why this only happened with optimas. anyhow i use a 30 lb thrust trolling motor and the #1 setting of 5 is faster than tires only..I still use an optima yellow top under the seat of my avenger and never had problems..this battery i about 6 years old and as strong as day one.. the 30 lb motor [hard to find anymore] uses less juice ..i tool around the ponds all day and can still start my machine with plenty to spare..Putting a full size battery under the seat is i think the best upgrate one can do..Opima yellow top is a great choice.

Tracmaster

Optima red top

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in, I had a red top Optima that went flat after 13 months under normal driving I upgraded to a yellow top, and has been good now for almost 5 years. The yellow top is well known in the 4x4 community as being the most durable battery you can buy
    -Dave
    1973 Attex 295 WILD WOLF

Thanks for the info guys......I guess next time I will get a yellow top.

Hey YG,

I guess I should have been more specific, it just went dead and would not hold a charge at all. Very suddenly also.
    Hammers should have warning labels.

+ Reply to Thread