12 tooth Gears on the T-20

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 12 tooth Gears on the T-20

12 tooth Gears on the T-20

I finally got my rebuilt T-20 with 12 tooth sprockets installed in my MaxIV and wanted to publish an initial report to let everyone know the early results. I was only able to drive my machine for a few minutes but here is what I found. I have now made the following modifications. Red Spring clutch, two spacers under the engine to raise the engine approximately 1/4 inch to tighten the drive belt and reduce play. This is to stop the belt squeak and to help the machine to be able to transfer power from my 27 horse engine with out drive belt problems. The sprockets on the T-20 have been reduced from a 16 tooth sprocket to a 12 tooth sprocket giving the max an over all 20% gear reduction.
    How does it work? Well it pulls and accelerates like a freight train, there is an noticeable increase in low end power and the power comes on right now!! There is no noise from the transmission or drive train. The drive belt no longer squeaks and there is an immediate transfer of power when you hit the gas . I took it into some mud and water that was soft enough to stick a plow horse and saw the machine put down power and pull the way I have always wanted it to with seemingly an endless amount of power to pull the machine through power robbing deep mud that would have given the machine problems before. My top end seems as fast or faster than I want to go in most situations so it seems that I now have the best of both worlds and the kind of power I have been looking for muddy impossible situations. The vehicle now backs and turns better than ever with no noise or drive train problems and goes into reverse in an almost excellent matter. Over all I am very happy with the results but the jury is out until it has survived the Marengo swamp run and continues with reliability. I am testing a set of super lug Carlisle 26x12x12 tires for swimming and mudding and so far they seem to do the job but more will follow on that later after I have had a chance to really put them to the test! For anyone considing lower gearing use a 13 tooth sprocket not the 12 tooth so you can avoid the chain problems I have to deal with! Hope this helps anyone considering lower gears, much more to follow latter!!
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 05-29-2008 at 03:02 AM.

Dan ,

That was an exellent write up . Thanks for posting it .

Nice Job Dan! Sounds like you now have a Mudd Chowing, Go anywhere Beast !

Can wait for the update on the tires. The Super Terra Grips are killing my back even at 3psi. Would love a little taller and softer tire that swims.

Thanks for the write-up

Mightymax, how do the superlugs ride? I considered putting them on my hustler.

Glad to hear it's working for you, Dan. After all the time, work and expense. Is nice to get the payoff/reward.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Good write up and info...thanks. Did your other tires wear out, or did you just want to try something new?

BTW, your article made me think about that previous thread where Whipper mentioned making some splined T-20 output sprockets....that would be REALLY nice. I'm gonna count the teeth on my sprockets when I get home.
    Hammers should have warning labels.

carlisle tires

Quote Originally Posted by Meinfield View Post
    Mightymax, how do the superlugs ride? I considered putting them on my hustler.
    I'lll have to get back with you on that. Right now I am rushing to get everything ready for the Marengo swamp run, but heres what I know now. I have them mounted on the back with the V's backward with about 2 1/2 psi they sit about 25" tall so you won't gain a lot of ground clearance Fullervision, but traction and swimming seem good, but more to follow when I get this thing in some real water. As for the ride, not as good as my vampires or Swamp Foxes but much much better than Goodyears with the low psi. My Max does turn better in the water so they must be doing something right. I'll report when I get this thing in real water! THX. My tires did not wear out, I am simply looking for a better way to make the Max the Machine I want it to be, and right now it's getting very close.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 05-29-2008 at 03:15 PM.

12 tooth gear change

Just wondering how the set up is working out?

12 tooth set up

Quote Originally Posted by fire 6x6 View Post
    Just wondering how the set up is working out?
    The gears work really well but I would recommend the 13 tooth gear reduction because the 12 tooth gear causes chain length problems. As far as the gear reduction, the machine has more power available at all times and seems to do everything a little better. There is a small sacrifice on top end but that really does not bother me. If you go with a 12 tooth you will have to use half links until the chains strenght and that just causes a lot of problems that you don't want to deal with!
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 09-08-2008 at 08:33 AM.

+ Reply to Thread