Conquest transmission just bearings or rebuild

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Conquest transmission just bearings or rebuild

Conquest transmission just bearings or rebuild

Hi
    My conquest 96 have a bit of slack in the input shaft to transmission.
    should I worry about this and change bearings or can I run for a long time with the slack.

I think I need the take the transmission out and split it to change bearings, so then I probably should replace some other bearings also right ?

Regards
    Knut

If the input shaft has any play end ways or up- down bearings are bad. In out play could come from improper shims behind the snapring. Any movement will cause excess wear on gears. If it jumps out of any gear it needs to come apart. Expect to replace the input shaft and the double gear if any wear is evident from the loose bearings.

Thanks,
    I guess there is no way around opening the transmission completely, or is there a way to just pull out the input shaft and change the outer bearing ?

Regards
    Knut

Nope. You have to tear it apart to get them out.

Thanks a lot, I saw some post of someone that where buying bearings from third party SKF or other.
    Is it recomended ?
    Are there SKF numbers or dimensions written on the bearings ?
    Should I just order all bearings and change them?
    For a 1996 argo conquest with less than 300 hours seem a litle overkill, but when I bought it the first gear oil cange showed a lot of filings in the oil.

OK, so I finally got around to getting he transmission out and open it.
    Seems like just bad bearings especially the one on the splined shaft, the bearing on the gearbox lid had was so word it wasnt long before bearing balls where coming out.

Gear's seems OK though.

There are other bearings that doesnt feel good, so I have to change all bearings.
    Not sure about the oillite bushings, there seem to be some slack so better change them also.

With close to 500 hours on the Argo, but 20 years old. I guess it is quite normal. But I am a litle disapointed.

How does the gears look, to me they look ok ?

Link to pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/1114402...eat=directlink

I would say most Argo transmissions I repair have less than 350 hours on them. I prefer to press the lower seals from inside as they don't hang up in snapring grooves as bad.

Thanks, useful to know
    I find 350 hours between transmission rebuild very low.

What about engine Kawasaki 20hp, any experience of how long it lasts?

Regards
    Knut

My Conquest had 725 hrs. when i did a complete rebuild, gears and bearings. Gear teeth had alot of wear.
    The Kawasaki engine seems bullet proof, just under 800 hrs now and does not burn any oil.
    I think the trans would last longer if guys would change the oil often as there is no filter so any metal from wear gets
    run through again causing more wear.

I see Kawasaki engines with over 1500 hours still running fine. The ones I've seen with over 2000 usually are using a bit of oil or loosing power.

+ Reply to Thread