New springer build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New springer build

Well heck! It shouldn't need working on after Buddy gets done tweeking it.

I have not had the time to get it to him

OK, sounds like I better bring grease rags and hand cleaner to the first race. Lol

Here are some pics for Darth of some springer outer bearing holders. The first one is one with bearing flanges welded to a 2" tube with 1" insert radius bearings. The second is from the Country Bumpkin which uses 1" squared shoulder insert bearings with retainer ring slipped in each end of a 2" tube. The third one is the same set up in an A arm configuration. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images

That's great. Looks like you could have been a farmer in your past life. That's all the stuff I recognize from the farm. Simplicity takes a ton of abuse. Did you just weld the wheel hub with studs then to the end of the axle shaft after the u-joint. All the Argo parts I need and shafts and bearings are a stock item at the local bearing shop. It looks like Argo uses the simple of the shelf shafts and bearing for the old models. You seem to like the sled motors. Do you go for the water cooled or old air cooled. We have lots of selection here in Canada for that stuff. Thanks.

Ha! Yes, I live here on the old family farm. The axels are welded to the universal joints on this machine. The wheel hubs will slip on the end of the axel with a 1/4" key way and be held on with a 3/8" grade 8 bolt threaded in the end of the axel. The air cooled motors may be lighter, but if you want mega hp, liquid is the way to go. Are you racing the Argo or just want a softer ride? If you are just trail riding I would opt for a big 4 stroke.

The plan is for trail riding up in the mountains and stuff around here. There is no racing here that I know of. I don't want to spend the $20,000.00 on a side by side. I would love to get this the softer rider with a newer reliable motor. I figure the transmission will take the increase in horse power its also a 2 speed tranny. What's a good 4 stroke to jam in their. I just loaded up 1949 Ford F1 as well thats on the list for 390 and new axles. Lots a projects for the winter. I'll start a thread up for the ARGO build as well I might throw the pictures up as well that I have of the plow I built for it out of a old hot water tank.

Hey Country Bumpkin. I found the Vanguard 570CC 30 H.P. on the North east legends site. That seems to show up a lot in other threads here. I might also give Whipper a call about his A arms they look like a good build and then build my own side plate to mount everything to. Or just build all my self. Gotta see what I can get at the local bearing supply place.

Ya, that 30 hp Vangaurd would work good and Whipper's set up is the best. Good luck, looking forward to watching your build.

I got the roll cage and body frame pretty much done, so I thought I better posts some pics before I tear it down to finish up the welding. When that is done I'll paint the frame and roll cage so I can start the final reassembly.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread