650 HD Admiral tranny servicing question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 650 HD Admiral tranny servicing question

650 HD Admiral tranny servicing question

Hi All,

I was doing the end of season servicing and changing the tranny fluid is of course part of that. So i warmed up the machine, pulled the plug to drain, then inserted the vacuum hose to make sure i got as much fluid as possible. Then i refilled it to the mid point on the indicator glass, as per the manual. It certainly did not take the 1.1l it was supposed to. Waited a bit and fired it up and ran it. The fluid level in the glass dropped to nothing while the machine was running (F-N-R for few minutes). Shut it off and then watched as fluid came back up in the glass...but now it is almost to the top of the glass, and it doesn't go down again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do i drain some off? This is what, no. 4 or 5 fluid change; never noticed this before.

Pretty sure you're fine shorty! I imagine some of the new stuff was just hung up in the gears and when it got warmed up it all ran down to the bottom. The difference from mid sight glass to top of sight glass isn't much and is certainly within the range of the old dip stick High/Low method.

I find the oil gets air in it when run and goes over full as soon as it moves. Most have to sit a day to go down to the level it was installed to. If your not using a metal tube bent to go into the bottom of gear case you can't replace the full amount of oil listed in manual. I use a 5/16" tube bent to about 9" radius. It goes in to the right side and rotates down.

Thanks, guys. It was just one of those WTH moments...just never noticed it before. Will check again tomorrow. With the temps getting cold, everything slows down. Me most of all! ;-)

+ Reply to Thread