Idle adjustment & gear grinding.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Idle adjustment & gear grinding.

Idle screw

YellowArgo,
    I take my breather/filter off and then there's another plate underneath that. I guess it's underneath that somewhere but when I take the breather/filter off, there's no screw there to adjust that I can see. Guess I'll have to disassemble it a bit more. Mine's an 07 tho, may be diff than an 08.

Dennis
    "Let's Roll" when he used to wake me up in the mornings for school in the 50's.
    My Dad, Utah Beach D-day vet, 79th Inf Div

Yes Sorry it is under the plate. Three bolts to take out total! You can reach it without removing it but it was hard to get at and I didn't want to over loosen it and drop the screw down in the machine.
    Ya ain't stuck til the winch cable comes out!!!

Bearclaw: I just got an Argo frontier myself in April I'v had to tur the idel up on mine. when I would come to a stop it would die most of the time.

Idle screw

Thanks Guys for the info,
    I guess I'll try and adjust it anyway and see if it does anything better. Plus that, it'll be nice to know how to do it anyway. Tracmaster, I found a Tiny Tac at, of all places, Cabela's. They have one for an outboard motor also on their site. Roger S, I have some belt dressing in a spray can. Think it's graphite. I understand it would help the belt but wouldn't that hurt your clutches though if you spray that in there??
    Thanks
    Dennis

I can't comment on belt dressings as I havn't used them. I use dry powdered graphite in a plastic tube or bottle. You can use your spray stuff on the belt and see what happens. If you don't like what it does, it'll wear off soon enough.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Worked on my Argo yesterday

worked on my Argo yesterday

Roger, FYI: I was reading my manual yesterday and it says to spray the clutches with a silicone spray. Don't imagine any kind of graphite could hurt it either that's for sure and if it's been working for yours, you must be doin something right.

I installed that Tiny Tac on my dash yesterday and it works like a charm. Real happy with the way that turned out. I put it above my oil idiot light on the dash. I'm idling at 1070-90. I turned the black screws to where I got the lowest idle. The idle adj screw looked like it was backed out as far as it could go. Anymore backing out, it would lose contact. Took my tires off and shot a little grease on the 2 zerk fittings. Can't believe the crap that wraps around the hub. Lots of dried mud also. I bought an electric Impact Wrench from Sears in the early 80's. Sure makes taking the tires off for a shot of grease a snap.

Sounds like the governor is controlling idle speed.. if you get it lowered there, you can open the idle mixture screws back up.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Sounds like the governor is controlling idle speed.. if you get it lowered there, you can open the idle mixture screws back up.
    I had the same issue with my Frontier, I could back up the idle screw all the way out with no change. I had to bend the metal tab (a tiny bit) where the governor spring is attached to lower the idle speed, than I could speed it up and adjust it with the idle screw. I didn't touch the mixture screws.

I'll have to try that

I'll try bending that tab. Will have to figure it out but sounds like that's the trick to it. Roger, think that's what BCSteve must be talking about, the governor.

+ Reply to Thread