KT-35 Skid Steer Transmission

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KT-35 Skid Steer Transmission

KT-35 Skid Steer Transmission

I was just curious what you all thought about the KT-35 Skid Steer transmission. They use them in those AV-4 Lil Critter fiberglass amphibious 4x4's. I never saw one or had any experience with them, but I think they might not be as relaiable as the "tested and true" T-20.

Tuff Torq
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

KT-35 Skid Steer transmission

Do you think they use the KT-35 trans because Recreatives has got the rights to the T-20 for their Max line ?

I'd imagine thats the reason. I believe that Recreatives Industries, and Hustler Corporation of Jonesboro Arkansas both owned the rights to the T-20 a few years after Borg Warner developed it. Once Hustler closed its doors in the mid 80's, Recreatives was the sole owner of the rights to the T-20.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

has anyone tried the kt-35? i'm curious myself...

I had a AV-4 for awhile.The KT-35 is a good trans.but has its faults also.It is a differential unit,But it also has a diff.lock that is easy to use.While unit was new it had alot of internal brake chatter,that went away after some hrs.Don also recomended using the friction modifier.Also under some heavy brake use felt some fade,and had to pull harder on sticks to lock up one side when turning.The trans is basicly proven in all types of lawn and garden equipment,but Tuff-torq also said this was thier first application in a skid steer ATV. Eddie

Here is a picture of the Tuff Torq KT-35

It is a light weight high torque rated transaxle. It has splined input and output shafts with simple full mesh forward, neutral and reverse. It has internal wet disc brakes. It has bevel gears in the differential and a differential lock. That tells me it's only three wheel drive when used in a 6x6 application.

I like the T-20

Max 6 Wheel Drive

The diff. lock is very easy to hook up ,just a plunger to push in.Absolute 2,4 or 6 wheel drive(not even a band to slip).

KT-35 Feedback

Andy, I used the KT-35 in my Bushwacker 6x6.

Pro's: 1. Well built, great qualtiy, made in Japan
    2. Very high torque ratings
    3. Splined Shafts
    4. Diff Lock
    5. Compact, fairly light weight.
    6. 500 hr. lube change.
    7. Wet brakes
    8. Neutral switch

Con's: 1. Open Diff.
    2. Brake steering needs 23 hp. for normal performance
    3. Brake fade, (generates a lot of heat)

Suggestions: If I were to use a KT-35 again, I would mount external disc hydraulic brakes on the ouput shafts, and use them in junction with the wet brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bw6 View Post
    Andy, I used the KT-35 in my Bushwacker 6x6.

Pro's: 1. Well built, great qualtiy, made in Japan
    2. Very high torque ratings
    3. Splined Shafts
    4. Diff Lock
    5. Compact, fairly light weight.
    6. 500 hr. lube change.
    7. Wet brakes
    8. Neutral switch

Con's: 1. Open Diff.
    2. Brake steering needs 23 hp. for normal performance
    3. Brake fade, (generates a lot of heat)

Suggestions: If I were to use a KT-35 again, I would mount external disc hydraulic brakes on the ouput shafts, and use them in junction with the wet brakes.
    wow thanks for all that info! how much hp and torque (numbers if possible) do you think it can withstand? what about rpm's? also do you have the price for it?

KT-35 LInk

Andy, here is the link to Tuff Torq, I got OEM pricing, paid $600 US., don't know what they retail for. Tuff Torq

+ Reply to Thread