Action Age Scrambler restoration

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Action Age Scrambler restoration

Action Age Scrambler restoration

So....I've "inherited" an Action Age Scrambler....in dire need of what looks to be a full restoration. Or at least I'm assuming so given that I don't think it's run in a very long time.

I've been perusing the forums looking for info....but I have a "general" restoration question before I start: What are the "long poles" in the tent typical of rebuilding/restoring an AA Scrambler? Either parts I'll need that will be impossible to find (and need to have the originals rebuilt) or prohibitively expensive if I do find them.....or the tasks that require very special skills to do...which I don't have and will have to find someone to do them for me. I can do general overhaul work like rebuilding the engine....but I'm just wondering what else I might run in to before I even start?

Also...any hints, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated....I'm brand new to the 6x6 world.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Hi Rob, most ATVs have fairly common parts such as sprockets, chains, bearings, etc. While they may be different sizes, most of those parts can be picked up new. The things that start getting harder to find are bodies, axles and transmissions. For the axles, you can usually have those made if you can't find some used. As someone with go-kart and lawn mower experience, the engine should be an easy area for you. I think the biggest unknown with your Scrambler is probably the transmission. Don't worry though, there are several members on here that can talk you through adjusting everything and you also have the manuals in our literature section to look through: Scrambler ATV Manuals

Good luck with your restoration.

anything you dissassamble try to keep it in one piece.When I rebuilt a 1969 scrambler that was a complete rusted mess this site helped me.Lots of roll pins on the transmission,little oil seals in the hydraulic pistons,it can be brought back to life if you take your time .

Thanks Mike, thanks Flippy. That's good to know. I did find the manual here although I have not had the chance to look at it in detail. Well hopefully it will come apart one way or the other so that I can refurbish whatever needs maintenance. You will probably hear from me soon after I start. It's now cold here in Colorado and since I have no garage to work in it's a project that will have to now wait until spring. But I'll spend this winter doing some research. Thanks again!

Scramblers are pretty simple, most of their components just need to be tightened, adjusted, or cleaned to get working again just no grantee without seeing it firsthand any pictures? The biggest tip I know is a lot of people go out and rebuild the slipper clutches on either side because they are well…slipping. The easiest way to fix this I found is to just adjust the big springs in the hydraulic pistons that hold pressure on them before you turn the wheel. The clutches don’t really wear out the springs just lose tension over the years and scramblers have been around for many years lol. Like wise you can put spacers on the break pads to get them to engage harder when turning.

+ Reply to Thread