Stuck Axle Removal

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stuck Axle Removal

Stuck Axle Removal

I am tearing my machine down and 3 axles came out with no trouble. Two were hard to get out (I had to use a puller) and the last one is still in there. My father held two pry bars behind the sprocket and I used a puller but it just didn't want to come off. I am letting it soak in PB Blaster tonight and will try again tomorrow or Monday but wondered if you guys had any tricks to removing it more easily?
    Attached Images

Mike, if it is stuck in the bearing unbolt the bearing from the body and it should come out of the body, then you can put it in a vice to get the bearing off.

It's actually just stuck in the sprocket. Both of the back two were like this. I got the passenger side out but the driver side is putting up a fight

have you tried any heat on the sproket tube?

No, that was going to be my next plan of action but I am a little hesitant to use heat so close to the tub. If I have to go that route I guess I could always put a piece of metal under the axle and just check it from time to time.

Hopefully soaking overnight in several coats of WD-40 and PB Blaster will help some. I may apply a few tomorrow as well since I probably won't have time to work on it and see if that helps.

If not then I guess heat is my last option?

Thanks!

Mike

if you do heat it just keep misting some water on the tub with a spray bottle. that worked good for me.

Two things Mike, whenever I have to weld or use heat in my Max, I fill the entire bottom of the tub up with water and put pieces of sheet metal all around the area Im heating. Second, if a sprocket tube is stuck, I will take the bolt out and drive the machine around. Sometimes the sprocket will get freed up from around the axle due to the torque of the chains on pulling on it.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Your on the right track, Heat is probably your only hope, but don't use a cutting torch, use a rose bud tip. It puts out alot more heat, You have to get the tube hot fast before it transfers to the axle. might take a couple tries. Is it going back together as a springer? We can do that! Your 1/2 way there. Now's the time.

Whipper, when is that springer kit coming out? I think I might have to put one on my JLO 400 powered Attex ST/295.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

egoperf, I feel a little better knowing that you had good results using the water.

Jeff, I bet if I could drive it around then that would definitely do the trick. Unfortunately I already have all the other axles out.

Whipper, thanks for the advice on the torch but don't tempt me with that springer kit!

+ Reply to Thread