argo 2004 conquest 8x8 or frontier 2011 6x6 650 hd

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: argo 2004 conquest 8x8 or frontier 2011 6x6 650 hd

argo 2004 conquest 8x8 or frontier 2011 6x6 650 hd

I am looking at these two argos . Any input would be appreciated. Mainly used for deer hunting in a sometimes flooded riverbottom in east texas. Im a little concerned about the ground clearance on the conquest with the smaller tires. the conquest has the liquid cooled Kawasaki engine and the frontier has the vanguard air cooled. Both have about the same hours under 150. Of course the 8x8 has more room that would be nice sometimes but prob not a must most of the time I hunt alone. thanks

I have a 04 Conquest and it is a great machine. I would go with the Conquest and put some 24" argo tires on it or tracks. Find a dealer that will hand select the small 24" tires as they vary about an 1" from tire to tire. You will then have close to the same ground clearance as the Frontier with a much better ride and a lot more room. The Conquest is a heavy duty work horse. I have read a few guys having heat issues with the Frontiers running the 23 B&S motor.

I would also find out which ratio of transmission each machine has. A GU, MU, or HU will be stamped on the top of the tranny. Gu= low, MU= medium, and HU= High. The ratio will make a huge difference in how the machine will perform. I would stay away from the HU or high for your use.

And better yet if you put a set of tracks like Adairs the they would be pretty unstoppable in the mud/water.

Thanks for input. Does yours have the Kawasaki engine. The conquest has been setting for a while. What do you suggest inspecting the most. I'm worried about the old gas??

I would agree with Thorn on the 8x8 but I wouldn't buy it unless it had the low transmission. If you get the 8x8 get a set of Adair tracks-you'll never get stuck.
    That being said the 6x6 HD with stock 24 inch tires is a very good swimming machine and has the Admiral transmission which makes it very easy to drive. The Admiral transmission will make a novice look like an expert! The Hd is is fast for an Argo and will run over 20 mph. I owned an HD and loved the machine but the 23 horse Briggs will get hot on the East Texas summer days, but the machine is very reliable and durable.

Where exactly do I find those markings on the conquest. The admiral would not matter correct? WhT if the conquest is a mu transmission? Does the gu mean that it is lowered geared? Moves slower but more durable ? This is my first Argo so thanks for any help!!!!

Markings will be stamped on top f the tranny when you are looking at in the engine compartment. Also you may want to take a look at the "used buyers guide" on the home page.
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Yes, all Conquests have the 20 HP Kawi stock. It is a great engine, but they do hate old gas. Common problems associated with that would be a messed-up fuel pump ($80 new), stuck fuel solenoid needle that screws in the side of the carb ($40), stuck needles in carb ($40 rebuild kit). The worst case is they will throw a rod past the rockers, which is also easy to replace. Mine had been sitting a while as well and mine had the solenoid needle stuck forward. I replaced the fuel pump, rebuilt the card, and replaced the fuel lines for good measure. May sound like a lot, but they are pretty easy to work on. I kept Marine Stabile in mine and have not had a problem since.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
    Thanks for input. Does yours have the Kawasaki engine. The conquest has been setting for a while. What do you suggest inspecting the most. I'm worried about the old gas??

Quote Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
    Where exactly do I find those markings on the conquest. The admiral would not matter correct? WhT if the conquest is a mu transmission? Does the gu mean that it is lowered geared? Moves slower but more durable ? This is my first Argo so thanks for any help!!!!

The admiral has a high tourque option which is the low geared option. I don't know the markings on those.

The Admiral has 6.4 std 8.8 low.
    The fuel line thing is key to rebuild or build as we have seen many flake apart from the inside due to the new gas as they end up in the jet and so on. Stabilizer is important in any carb.ed engine today, I was told by a Stihl dealer that the octane rating begins to drop off after only 3 weeks.

An FD620 could be upgraded to fuel injected 22HP with the J.D. parts from a 425 but would be expensive, even used.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread