Help sunk my frontier.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help sunk my frontier.

Help sunk my frontier.

I sunk my frontier under water. 2011 650 hd. Any suggestions I got it out . I figured I would change the fuel and oil. Pull the spark plugs and turn it over and spay wd40 in the cylinders. Not sure about the transmission. Any help is appreciated.

drain the tranny and refill it.Just like a driving a truck or jeep through deep water ,usually have to change axle dope and regrease hubs.Outboard boat motors have a procedure also.I am sure someone will chime in who had this happen.

Thanks any more help is appreciated. To drain the engine and tranny oil. Do you just let it drain in the bottom pan then out the back plugs. or what. Thanks

I've seen the exact same thing happen to several machines. By all means, do not run the machine until you have drained the fluids and pulled the plugs and changed the oil filter, and I would change the oil and filter at least a couple of times after warming in to operating temperature. For the transmission drain it out into a container and then dump it out. If you let the heavy gear oil in your lower tub it will stay slippery a long time. Then grease the bearings and lube the chains. You should be ok at that point, there is a benefit of low tech engines.

Sorry to hear about your machine sinking. I don't know if your machine is an EFI or a carb. You'll have to also drain gas tank and gas lines. If
    it's an EFI more work, make sure the injection system is cleaned of all water and moisture. If it's a carb you need to take the 4 screws off the top of carb being careful not to loose governer
    spring, and blow water out of there too. Inside the rewind cover under the flywheel is the coil and charging system, hopefully you can dry that out too.
    Hope this helps. Good luck, Shady

The best thing you can do for the engine is change the oil and gas, pull plugs and get water from cylinders. Next is to get engine and engine oil up to operating temp to burn out any moisture that is still left.

My machine is older (mid 80s) but I take a kitchen garbage bag, open it completely, then hold it open under the engine oil drain plug when I pull it. If I'm careful I get about all of it.

I use a "Wet Trap" on a Shop Vac to suck up the oil as it drains from my Engine/Trans. It's simple and all the waste oil stays in the 5gal bucket.

[IMG][/IMG]

RD

Methyl Hydrate available in the paint section of the hardware store is an excellent product for removing water from enignes, transmission and fuel system. I use it all the time in ATVs.

+ Reply to Thread