Magnum flywheel

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnum flywheel

Magnum flywheel

How long usually does the flywheel that creates electricity to charge the battery last for I don't think it has ever been replaced in my 1992 magnum so would that be the reason why my battery is not charging

The flywheel should never wear out. It's just a big hunk of cast iron. There are magnets glued to the inside & they MAY have broken loose but more likely it's the voltage regulator or stator.

I would suggest checking or replacing the rectifier/regulator. I had an Argo I/C with the Kohler 17 hp engine that stopped charging. At first I misdiagnosed it - I bought a stator, thinking that it was the culprit. But it was the rectifier/regulator. Once I replaced it, the engine charged just fine.
    I'm assuming of course that you have a Kohler engine.

Yes I have a Koehler engine 18 hp red so it is most likely the stator or regulator. How hard is it to replace the stator

you can test the stator out put with a volt meter if you have one. disconnect the two outside leads on the rectifier and connect volt meter to 200 volts a/c and crank engine run up rpms and it should read between 25 and 30 volts a/c. if you don't get that voltage it is not working. if you get 25/30 volts a/c than test rectifier it will be the center lead and it should read 13/15 volts dc.

Ok so cost and part number for a stator for Koehler magnum

1980's Kohler Magnum 18hp Motor ~ Stator
    Would the connections work? Someone suggest for me that is not to expensive and still works that would for a m18 kohler

Before purchasing the stator test as described above. AC voltage should be above 28 volts. Also test the resistance of the coil on the same two wires. 15 amp system is supposed to read .1-.2 ohms. 25 amp system is supposed to be .064-.096 ohms. The eBay one you posted should fit. It appears to be a 25 amp coil. If your resistance shows open or 0 ohm the coil is bad. Sorry to say they are usually destroyed by loose magnets from the flywheel. Test it properly before spending any money on parts. You also must have battery voltage to center terminal on regulator with engine off. A bad fuse will kill the charging system.
    Last edited by msafi65; 01-19-2016 at 01:09 AM.

Ok the only fusses are in the fuse block right no where else

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    Ok the only fusses are in the fuse block right no where else
    Have You checked the system with a meter yet??

+ Reply to Thread