vanguard wiring question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: vanguard wiring question

sorry when i started reading the post the pics wouldnt come up just now got them up to see them. yes that is the stud i am talking about above the model number id tag. now when you took the key out was there wires coming from the key to that stud? and if so what color? right now you shouldnt have any there at all. that is a ground.i bet your key you took out was hooked to that and that is what kiiled your engine from the key. my guess is that is your problem and why it isnt killing with your key switch. if i am thinking right from the key you took out the orange and black wires should be gone is that correct? the orange went to the starter and the black went to the stud. if that is right your missing the ground wire. no worries we got it just confused to what was really going on and hard to figure out over the net. just about a month ago i had a honda that blowed up in a grave digger which was a terminate. we got a replacement engine that we suppose to just be plug and play. we took the key out of the new engine just like yourself. the wiring was different from the other engine that came out. could get it to run and not shut off as well. then got it to shut off but the oil shut down wasnt working and never did get it to work. long story short it was a night mare of a job. we got close to a foot here with some drifts about 2' plus. enjoy it and have fun riding.

You boys are way over thinking this deal, find a wire that only has continuity to ground when the key is off. key on = no continuity to ground and no voltage, clip that wire on the post in the picture and call it a day.. Never trust the color of a wire in a used machine. there's only a handful of wires to sort out. if the old 16 shut off with the key? the new engine will do the same

Just sayin'

o.k. guys..thanks again for your help and patience. i realized not knowing alot about the wiring, i was nervous about shorting something on a new motor. anyway i took a piece of wire and held it on that post and then grounded to the motor and it did quit. so then i unhooked the black ground that was bolted to the motor and put it on the stud as you said. and yes that was the ticket. works great. maybe because the 16 was older it was a little different. anyway i'm good to go !! johnboy va.

Glad to hear You got it!, better safe than sorry My Daddy always said.

+ Reply to Thread