1980(s) Argo T transmission fail

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1980(s) Argo T transmission fail

1980(s) Argo T transmission fail

So I have been working on a 1980(s) Argo T (Tecumseh 16hp) I haven't done anything to the transmission but I have worked on the engine and wheels.

I've driven it in the woods on dry ground for 4-5 hours beating it a little and it preformed well. Today I wanted to go spin the snow, so I fired it up in the garage and made it until the end of the driveway until the right 3 wheels stop being driven? the Left 3 wheels spinning as usual drive it back into the garage. There was no drag so I don't think it is a bearing? it was just like the 3 wheels on the right were unpowered?

Chains look fine but don't spin from the transmissions effort, certainly not broken. The brake/streering was off/disengaged although it drags alittle. Since the left 3 wheels run fine like. I suspect the engine/left transmission are still working.

So what is up with the other/right drive system? I understand that the Argo transmission is two transmissions in one housing so there could be a right only problem?

No noises or loud bangs, just malfunction? I wasn't pushing the argo hard. it should have been above freezing in the garage. I drove it around the yard yesterday without issue?

Where should I start looking? How do you check fluid?

There is only one differential in the trans.. If your brakes are too tight it may allow the one side to spin easy in the snow and rob the power from the other which already has a drag on it.
    Being as your machine is a T (6 wheeler is T and 8 is TB) I may also check for a broken roll pin in the affected side's sprockets ( front and center).

With an open differential you may need to Very Slightly apply the brake on the moving side to get the non moving side moving in unison with the spinning side.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quite common for the oldies to shear or just wear away the keys in the output shaft. This leaves the rotor -sprocket in place but not driven. Usually can tell if this failed by mount bolt for rotor is spinning but rotor isn't. As Jim said try applying brake to side that is spinning and force the other side to drive.

+ Reply to Thread