Tire Paddles

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tire Paddles

They are inside the rim for protection but I wish i made them about 3 to 4 in inches wider but very cheap and inexpensive to make , I will have to do some modification on the with, If I make them wider and they work out better I will put up a post on how to make them from sheet metal

Any updates the idea?

Anything new on the paddles

Pinwheel Paddle Design

Here is a design that I never had time to build, but may work. Larger rim sizes will work better.
    Attached Files

If you had that design up and working. Just how many wheels would you put them on?

Quote Originally Posted by Bw6 View Post
    Here is a design that I never had time to build, but may work. Larger rim sizes will work better.

Quote Originally Posted by zoood View Post
    If you had that design up and working. Just how many wheels would you put them on?
    Well it's amazing the amount of thrust well designed paddle wheel generate. I played around with some different designs like the "Jet Wheel", which was very effective on the front 2 wheels of a Argo Frontier. I would install these on the rear 2 wheels of an Argo or the front 2 wheels of a Max.

I determined the wheels in the back produced the most thrust and the most water thrown into the back. This was fixed by making water flaps or mud flaps.

bilimrl1 I'm not quite sure what you meant by "water thrown in the back" and the use of mud flaps.

Quote Originally Posted by bilimrl1 View Post
    I built a set, they were made from thick belting ( to be a little flexible), approx. 4"x5", just under the tire diameter. They were mounted to a metal frame structure to space them properly. They worked, increased my speed a mile or two, but they only worked when part of the tire they were mounted to was out of the water, in other words part of the paddles were under water while the others where out of it, keeps them from throwing in both directions. I tested with a GPS to measure my speed. Since my argo is front heavy, and after testing in the pond, I determined the wheels in the back produced the most thrust and the most water thrown into the back. This was fixed by making water flaps or mud flaps. I only use these to race my argo against 4 wheelers at Mud NAtionals. I was one of just a few that actually completed the course, but not fast enough for the win. Next year, will be adding caged trolling motors and big battery!

Blazenron....Let me know what kind of increases you see with your design, I am looking for something like that and have thought about the same thing. If it gives good increases, I wouldnt mind paying you to make some for my max II

Has anyone ever tried a regular ATV sand paddle tire? I know this type of tire is hard to beat in the mud on a dirt bike. maby one set in the back?

Quote Originally Posted by twinlakemike View Post
    Has anyone ever tried a regular ATV sand paddle tire? I know this type of tire is hard to beat in the mud on a dirt bike. maby one set in the back?
    People have tried it and removed them right away since they are horrible in the water and very bumpy on regular ground......all they do is throw water all over the place and don't move you along in the water and they offer no suspension, just a bump, bump, bump, bump feeling as the large paddles make contact with the ground when the machine is moving along.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread