08 Briggs Vanguard floods and backfires.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 08 Briggs Vanguard floods and backfires.

08 Briggs Vanguard floods and backfires.

I am new to your site. I have been by several times over the past five years or so reading articles and thinking about getting a 6X6. I test drove mules, rhinos, rangers, gators and even though about getting a real live breathing horse. Decided that I didn’t want to feed or take care of a horse and all the side by sides were great if you were going to stay on the road or trail. I do not want to stay on the trail, I want to go impossible places. I am a wildlife photographer in Mississippi and it gets really thick out in the woods. I decided a small tank would be my best option. A couple of weeks ago I bought a 2008 Argo 6X6 Frontier with the 23HP Briggs and Stratton. I have put 25 hours on it and I have been places that I would not even try to walk through. I am very pleased.
    When I test drove the Argo, I noticed after it got good and hot that when I throttled down it would stall and take 10 or 15 seconds to start back up. I decided it was flooding and I could fix that easy enough. After I put a couple hours on it I ordered the Briggs service manual and adjusted the carb according to specs. It was still stalling at low rpm so I adjusted the idle up and that took care of that.
    I was still having problems with flooding. After it was run for a while and good and hot if I shut it off and tried to start it back up 20 or 30 minutes later it would crank for 20 seconds and then start firing on one cylinder while blowing smoke until the other cylinder would kick in and then it would start running right. I decided to look in the carb after it had been sitting for 20 minutes and I could see fuel pooling in the carb intake elbow. I decided the float was sticking so I took the carb apart and cleaned everything. The float seemed to be fine but I cleaned it any way. I know I can take it to a service center and use the Briggs warranty but I would have to trailer it for over an hour to get it to one and then I would have to leave it for who knows how long while they play on it. Anyway back to my story. I have read in several places that if there is too much fuel pressure, more than 1.5 psi, between the fuel pump and carb that the float needle will not be able to hold the fuel back and it will seep into the bowl and flood the carb after you shut it off. Also, Every time I shut it off when its hot it will backfire through the exhaust.
    Then through some more reading I discovers that my carb has a place to install a anti-antifire/backfire solenoid. This solenoid screws into carb and when the key is tuned off it blocks the fuel from going from the bowl to the intake. That would solve the backfiring and I think the flooding after I shut the machine off. I ordered one off the internet. I will install it and let you know what happens. What do you all think about that? Any input will be appreciated.
    Christopher Shea
    Nature & Wildlife Photographer
    http://www.christophershea.net

On the right track

I think your on the right track. Emissions standards have caused a lot of problems for small gas engines and you are seeing the results. In the past you could make manual adjustments, change jets or what ever was required. Now even the dealers are limited in the modifications they can do to your engine. The bottom line is you have to be a better mechanic than ever to keep these machines running right and you can't always depend on a dealer to get it right for you. I think the valve you are installing will take care of the pooling problem. I wish you the best, let us know what you find out!

+ Reply to Thread