"Tracks" the footprint or the traction question.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Tracks" the footprint or the traction question.

"Tracks" the footprint or the traction question.

We're using a max 4 18hp 26" tires it works extremely well on reeds and the reed beds but when we move closer to the water and we have less reeds to drive ON, we have a problem with the tires breaking threw and bottoming out the machine. We know we need tracks but at first we thought we needed traction but now we're wondering if it's more about ground pressure and staying up on top. So the tracks with the spacing to let the mud out (traction) vs the tracks that are solid that has a bigger (footprint) is what we are questioning now. Yes we watched all the you tube videos and saw guys with all different kinds of tracks going threw different things but we're more for the working aspect of this. Give me your thoughts please. (Ps we're not driving over trees and threw the woods just acres of phragmites)

Flotation vs Traction is always a balance, if you get to far out of balance for conditions you will lose performance. Closed tracks have the most flotation per width and depending on the design less traction and have poor self cleaning attributes. Open tracks clean out better and can be increased in width for the same or better flotation. A raised belt track may work very well for you. The advantage the raised belt design has is the belts are up above ground level letting the tire and crossers sink to the belting then getting full flotation with the added benefit of the countersunk tire and crosser for traction. There are several different manufactures that make this style and prices and material vary.

Would you please make a recommendation I'd like to see a bunch of different styles that you guys that run these machines for years think would be good. I've looked up and talked to plenty of track manufacturers but I feel their all trying to sell. Guys like yourself who don't care about the sale means more, there's nothing for you to loose. Thanks for the reply.

Run up to the PSE&g estuary enhancement project in Hancock's bridge nj and talk to Joe there, he has 20 years in what you are running. He runs Argos and either super or rubber tracks, if there is a drawback to either of those I'm sure he'll tell you.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Jim I was at hancocks bridge today going over a DU project with a gentleman. Does Joe work at the PSE&G field office. We actually lease farm ground from them.

Yes I believe so at the trailers set up at the old farm house there, The machines are kept in the block garage along with the boats and a Marsh Master if they still have it. I haven't been down there in a good 5-7 years.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

BTW Joe has a little age on him, there is also a female there with plenty of seat time out there but can't remember her name.

We decided on Adair Pro Series tracks after researching plastic and rubber tracks made by ARGO. We have been very pleased. We mainly deal with deep mud and marsh grass but we do run phrags as well. Plus our machine will swim slowly with these tracks when we encounter deeper water.

Quote Originally Posted by Delduck View Post
    Would you please make a recommendation I'd like to see a bunch of different styles that you guys that run these machines for years think would be good. I've looked up and talked to plenty of track manufacturers but I feel their all trying to sell. Guys like yourself who don't care about the sale means more, there's nothing for you to loose. Thanks for the reply.
    Couple problems with most of "US GUYS" giving you a direct best recommendation is that most of us have only ran one or two styles of tracks, so what I feel is great performance in my conditions may not be the best performing track possible for the conditions. Also all of us are to some degree guilty with the pride of my track works good so it could be the best. Lastly most of us have very different conditions and need/use the various machines differently. The best thing to to is evaluate what job you need the tracks to do and read the many reviews on this site of each track. Sort through the fluff and break down the key attributes of each track and then make your decision.

My experience is limited, but I have encountered a fair amount of floating vegetation mat. Floatation is a key on this kind of material because breaking through means you have nothing but water underneath and the belly of the machine is sitting on (or through) the mat. However when this happens, you want to have tracks or tires that will swim. It sounds like your conditions are slightly different, but the principle might still apply. Rubber tracks work well for me up until I break through. Then it is a case of firing up the winch and trying to get back to something solid enough to pull against. The danger is that my atv with tracks on it will go places where I cannot walk. That makes it very interesting, indeed, to try to get a winch line out where it will do some good.

+ Reply to Thread