JPSWIFT 2 stroke Question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: JPSWIFT 2 stroke Question

JPSWIFT 2 stroke Question

Dear JP and fellow 2strokerrss!!
    I have a TA440A that will not produce a spark? I ran a test light to the red and white wires from engine which both light after cranking. Which tells me the points are connecting. Testing the ignition coil what tells me it's no good? How many OHMS is too much resistance for these coils?
    Also engine was sitting for couple of years and starter doesn't work. Any suggestions before I take a part?

Really appreciate all support and guidance.

Thanks
    Last edited by Muscat; 04-06-2016 at 01:35 PM.

This link will cover everything you need on the TA340 and TA440 engines.

http://www.vintagesnow.com/John_Deer.../Trailfire.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Muscat View Post
    I ran a test light to the red and white wires from engine which both light after cranking. Which tells me the points are connecting.
    Isn't the 440A a CDI engine?

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Isn't the 440A a CDI engine?
    yes it is, there are no points
    Last edited by Canadian_Zuk; 04-06-2016 at 02:30 PM.

image.jpgimage.jpgThanks for moving this Mike.Sorry for the hassle.

Appreciate the response Hydromike & Canadian Zuk.

Reason I'm believing my model is points is due to the major difference from the Ta440B motor I have.
    The 440A coil plugs red and white directly to motor Also has 2grey and 1black wire that appears to be ground.
    In addition, the exciter coil wires match 2 yellow 1 white 1 black that fit the remaining engine wires.
    Last edited by Muscat; 04-06-2016 at 11:55 PM.

Just found this post from JPSWIFT.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    What no Swift history lesson?
    Oh man, Jim how did I miss this thread?!

OK, here's what I've got. The Kawasaki TA440 series engines were a great line. Recreatives used them to replace the JLO/Rockwell 2 strokes offered in the Maxes. They were used by Recreatives from the late 70's to early 80's. The TA440A was the version that was used in the Max line (some John Deere snowmobiles too). The A version had points ignition and a smaller Mikuni carburetor than the TA440B. The B version had CDI ignition and a larger carburetor. The B version wasn't available in the Max AATVs, but it came stock in Kawasaki snowmobiles. The C version was CDI ignition, dual plugs, and dual 34mm Mikuni carbs. It was a powerhouse and it's a very popular, as mentioned, with the ultralite aircraft crowd.

I'm guessing someone swapped the original TA440A out for the TA440C because of the extra horsepower and the fact that it would have been a simple bolt in swap since the mounting holes were in the same exact position.

Wow, I'm late to the party again!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Never too late.

Actually found the combo coil made only in 83 & 84. A lot of research but learned a lot too...on its way!! which means my engine is 1984 not 1979 like I thought since the Max IV is an 85.

Was also told recreative may have bought these motors from left over inventory from John Deere snow mobiles business that went belly up in 1984.

Makes sense.

Either way excited I found my YETI....

Next time JPSWIFT..
    Last edited by Muscat; 04-12-2016 at 08:08 PM.

Muscat, where do you find the coil? I need one for my Maxll. Its an 1987 Big Max, engine model TA440A-F202. A deep search on the net came up empty. I called a few snowmobile part stores and no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Muscat View Post
    Just found this post from JPSWIFT.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    What no Swift history lesson?
    Oh man, Jim how did I miss this thread?!

OK, here's what I've got. The Kawasaki TA440 series engines were a great line. Recreatives used them to replace the JLO/Rockwell 2 strokes offered in the Maxes. They were used by Recreatives from the late 70's to early 80's. The TA440A was the version that was used in the Max line (some John Deere snowmobiles too). The A version had points ignition and a smaller Mikuni carburetor than the TA440B. The B version had CDI ignition and a larger carburetor. The B version wasn't available in the Max AATVs, but it came stock in Kawasaki snowmobiles. The C version was CDI ignition, dual plugs, and dual 34mm Mikuni carbs. It was a powerhouse and it's a very popular, as mentioned, with the ultralite aircraft crowd.

I'm guessing someone swapped the original TA440A out for the TA440C because of the extra horsepower and the fact that it would have been a simple bolt in swap since the mounting holes were in the same exact position.
    Great info for anyone with a TA440, thanks for the expertise.

+ Reply to Thread