HELP First time owner of 1970 attex 6x6! baker hill 7000 tranny issues

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HELP First time owner of 1970 attex 6x6! baker hill 7000 tranny issues

Quote Originally Posted by kika6x6 View Post
    Thanks. I'm having one hell of a time trying to figure out why the right side won't pull. The left side has power but the right doesn't? I haven't even got to ride it yet and this is my first machine... Do u know where I can find a used trans for one of these?
    Before you go there, the 5000 was notorious for breaking shafts, the 7000 was much better. It is possible the one side is;
    Rusted stuck
    Needle bearings bad
    Stripped sun gear or planetary gears
    Bad roller bearings
    Broken shaft is possible

If your chains are not stuck on affected side and machine rolls free.

. If you have first checked that the brake pucks are infact doing what they should on each side as one disc drives and one disc brakes, and found that it is internal remove from cradle and inspect the innards of the discs.
    You can preliminarily check functions by placing in neutral and spinning each side of trans which should spin freely, next place in gear and should not spin freely but turn with internals of trans drag, next on each side with in neutral hold inner disc and turn outer disc to feel drag of planetary gears.

Hope this makes sense

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

it spins freely when its in neutral and when its in gear...do you have any idea what i could be?

Quote Originally Posted by kika6x6 View Post
    it spins freely when its in neutral and when its in gear...do you have any idea what i could be?
    anyone?? i want to take it out on mothers day....

Grabbing both inner discs and trying to work them against each other will tell if the shaft is broken or possibly is the sun gear is stripped. They should be hooked together as one and have to spin the same way. If they are able to be spun in different directions it's internal, if not it's outside in either the final drive of the planetary or again in the brake pucks system.

Again a video of what it's doing could be key.

Let me try to explain operation of the outside again. The inner discs are your output discs, pushing the sticks forward the brake pucks lock up that disc forcing the planetary to drive the outer disc and propel the machine. Pulling the stick backwards lock up the outer disc and activate the braking steering action of the machine, the inner discs can spin freely with the speed of the driven clutch. If the brakes do not lock up the inner disc it will not move, if the outer discs do not unlock it will not move.
    Last edited by ARGOJIM; 05-07-2016 at 07:39 PM.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

thank you. i have the trans pulled out ill see what i can do about a video

How do I get this off? please help

So I have been trying to get this apart for days and nothing is working. Is there a trick? I cannot get the gear off to get the rest of the pullys off the shaft.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike; 05-08-2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: merged multiple threads on the same topic

How do I get this off? please help

So I have been trying to get this apart for days and nothing is working. Is there a trick? I cannot get the gear off to get the rest of the pullys off the shaft.
    Last edited by Mike; 05-08-2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: merged multiple threads on the same topic

A bit vague
    Acta non verba

What exactly are you working with? As long as the metal isn't tempered, heat on the gear and a slide hammer can help remove it.
    Meep Meep

Is this still the Baker/Hill transmission sun gear? If that's the case, the only way I've found that works well is to suspend the shaft vertically by supporting under the inside disc and drive the shaft down through it using a brass or aluminum punch. Make sure you place a rubber or wooden block under the transmission shaft so it's not damaged when it falls.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

+ Reply to Thread