100 amp alternator

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 100 amp alternator

100 amp alternator

New alternator. Made from a GM water pump pulley, delco 100amp alternator and a Internation Harvester Cub Cadet generator pulley. I welded the water pump pulley on the backside of the clutch after cutting out the middle. I measured it out, tacked it on. Measured and spun it. Turned out to be 100% true. Turned out great.

Nice job, Larry- you're pretty handy. Do you run a lot of electric accessories on your machine?
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Nice job, Larry- you're pretty handy. Do you run a lot of electric accessories on your machine?
    Thanks Don, I dont run alot of electric accessories yet but was thinking maybe putting a trolling motor on it.
    Larry

Nice job

Good looking work. Trolling Motor plus a killer sound system
    You've got the juice!!!!

Just kidding: It is nice when things go right. Job well done.

How much do you think it will affect your performance if at all? You do have a nice setup there. Good work.

Thanks guys,

I have felt no power differance but I havent really worked the alternator hard. I dont think it would be much of a factor. It has more power then is really needed most of the time. For my needs anyways. I mean I have towed logs, pulled stuck atv's, climbed hills... and never needed more power, just traction.

Larry, thats not a bad idea. I see a big Boom Box in your future.
    Come to the Ledges, we'll hook up to you for our music.

Whipper

Quote Originally Posted by whipper-ag View Post
    Larry, thats not a bad idea. I see a big Boom Box in your future.
    Come to the Ledges, we'll hook up to you for our music.

Whipper
    lol, I would trade music for beer but I am unable to go.

As for the bogging it down I left the switch on and killed the battery. I started it with the rope and I didnt notice anything like it was bogging down. It even idled fine. I guess I will try jump starting something and see if I hear a differance like in a truck. I cant think of anything else with a severe draw.

Great writeup on the swap! You were curious about big draw items. The winch if you have one! The 3000lb winch on mine is rated to pull direct 220a under load! There's a correct way to figure out how to winch, and how to charge!

The majority of winch MFG's tell you to not winch more than 30sec, and cool down for 2-3min. The theory of operation is if you draw 250a for 30 sec. andhave a 50a alternator, it will take 1min to recharge the 50a into the battery, so that's 5min to recharge 250a. Sounds insane,and no I don't listen to the theory, but I can tell ya it is possible to overheat the winch, and fry the motor, and is also possible to over workthe alternator trying to recharge a depleted battery from winching!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

+ Reply to Thread