100 amp alternator

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 100 amp alternator

Quote Originally Posted by GREASEMONKEY View Post
    Great writeup on the swap! You were curious about big draw items. The winch if you have one!
    Hey thanks Greasemonkey.

I dont have a winch. But I updated in comments of the photo and never updated here so I will say I have had the battery completely dead. Pulled rope to start. With lights on and charging completely dead lawmower style batteriy I didnt notice any power differance on the engine. This has me wondering because I was told someone else did same thing and it bogged it down running big offroad lights. The only thing I can think of is the pulley ratio may be his factor. Mine is roughly spinning the alternator 4:1.

You'd expect a noticable pull on the engine.. Maybe that little battery won't take a high amp flow.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

alternator

Hi Larry. would you be willing to duplicate your handiwork if I sent you the clutch and get the pully. I am running my superchief off aMazda Miata battery. I have big off road lights on my rollbar that I have yet to hook up because I dont think the stock alternator on the G50B has enough juice to keep up with the draw from the lights. Your setup would solve my problem. I just dont have any welding skills. Iwould be more than happy to pay for the service. Let me know. Thanks

-Pat
    Famous last words: I swear honey... I am just going to change the tranny fluid. I won't tear this one apart...

PM sent.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Larry,
    Sweet job on the alt. rigging!have you thought about rigging up an air compressor for on trail flats and such.Also with that kind of power you could even run one of the welders that the rock crawlers use for on trail repairsWOW! Then with the air system you could throw on a couple impact wrenches and some sockets and be a rolling amphib repair station! You could be really really popular on long treks through tuff country!WOW!!! Talk about possibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by brushcutter View Post
    Larry,
    Sweet job on the alt. rigging!have you thought about rigging up an air compressor for on trail flats and such.Also with that kind of power you could even run one of the welders that the rock crawlers use for on trail repairsWOW! Then with the air system you could throw on a couple impact wrenches and some sockets and be a rolling amphib repair station! You could be really really popular on long treks through tuff country!WOW!!! Talk about possibilities!
    No I havent but I did convert a A/C compressor into a aircompressor once on my old '89 fullsize Jimmy. I had the end fittings crimped on to the A/C hose so I could run a compressor pressure regulator and hose from there. Once I found the right terminals the normally 120v AC reg worked fine of 12v dc. Just engage and disengaged the A/C compressor clutch. I never put a tank on it but worked great on demand. Once pressure in hose reached 120psi it would shut down. Worked good. I do have an old A/C compressor in my misc. scrap pile.

As with the welder, I have heard of them and if it would work it would be sweet. I guess I will play with that idea sometime. Should work with jumper cables right? Just ground one side and put welding rod on pos. side????

+ Reply to Thread