Compression release on 18hp Vanguard twin

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Compression release on 18hp Vanguard twin

Compression release on 18hp Vanguard twin

Hi friends,Just acquired a Vanguard 18 HP V-twin with Model #350447-1048-a1 and date code of 95012711.Engine idles and runs fine.I have adjusted both intake and exhaust valves to .005" 1/4" past TDC.But its kind of hard to turn over with pull start cord.I noticed that valve clearance is same .005" at the TDC and 1/4" past the TDC.So looks like its compression release is not working.Can it it be worn out cam or could be a jammed decompresser mechanism or tired spring on the decompresser mechanism?Just need suggestion you experienced guys.I checked the compression and its ~150 psi on both cylinders.Please suggest me.Thanks.

hi ninja

I am new on here so this is my first post. I have the same problem with a vanguard 23hp motor in my frontier 6X6. I'm sure they put that pull cord on the motors as some kind of sick joke. I don't think superman could pull that cord to start the motor. And to be honest with you i'd be shocked to find a compression release on that motor, I don't think they have a compression release and maybe that is why no one has answered your post yet..?
    --jhayden

Quote Originally Posted by jhayden View Post
    hi ninja

I am new on here so this is my first post. I have the same problem with a vanguard 23hp motor in my frontier 6X6. I'm sure they put that pull cord on the motors as some kind of sick joke. I don't think superman could pull that cord to start the motor. And to be honest with you i'd be shocked to find a compression release on that motor, I don't think they have a compression release and maybe that is why no one has answered your post yet..?
    --jhayden
    Nice first post, sounds like you have all the answers already....

I carefully monitored the valve movements while slowly turning the crankshaft and actually i did feel the little decompression bump just before the TDC.So it means decompression is working and i think that's how it is designed or the decompression bump is little worn out.May be i am not used to pulling high HP twin cylinder motor.

Hey!
    I had to laugh when I seen this old thread.the only compression release I had ever seen was on chainsaws. Did not know anything about the compression relief built into the camshafts.
    It took me 5 years..but now I see the 'humor' in your post..
    ����jamie

+ Reply to Thread