Max ll t20 transmission issues

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Max ll t20 transmission issues

It's a piece of cake Boyer. You can just drive the split pins out with a 3/8" diameter drift (or whatever you have). When you put them back in, make sure they're centered in the plunger or they'll gouge up the plunger bore. Tap them in slowly so as not to go to far, in which case you just drive them the whole way through, out the backside and start again.

Well I pulled the transmission apart and all I could find is that the brake plungers were sticking. The drums look good and everything seems intact. I plan on honing the brake shafts before installing o rings and new bands so they work smoothly.

How much of a gap should the shift pin have in the shift collar grove?

I have the transmission back together now, how do I test reverse? Do I need to use the steering bars?

The only way I know to test reverse is to put the diamond shifters in the reverse position, spin the input shaft (driven clutch) and work the plungers with the u channels. If your output sprockets spin backwards then its looking good. Of course, the true test won't come until you drive it. You can't reproduce the same loads in a bench test that you will experience while driving the machine.

I don't have my U channels installed or the plungers adjusted yet. I guessing there needs to be some braking on the T-20 for the reverse to work
    Last edited by boyerbl; 08-04-2016 at 10:46 AM.

just screw a bolt in the top plungers and apply some outward pressure. Under a no load bench test like that, it should only take a little outward pressure to make it work. Of course, there needs to be no pressure on the bottom plungers as these create the breaking action when in reverse. Don't push in on the plungers or you risk pushing it too far into the case and damaging the o-ring.

So reverse on the T-20 requires braking on the upper bands to work? I will test it tonight. I thought I messed up the rebuild.

Yup, pull out on the top plungers. Like dirtdobber says, be extra careful not to let the bottom plungers go into the bore, or you'll be replacing o-rings no matter what. Sometimes the li'l bastards will walk in on themselves. You might want to put a short bolt and an extra big washer on those bottom plungers just to make sure.

does anyone know what the plunger thread size is?

+ Reply to Thread