two-stroke brain fart idea

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: two-stroke brain fart idea

Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    most all golf carts til the late 80s ran 2 cycles with starter/gens, started backwards for reverse.

Is the driven on a golf cart made different so it works in both directions? Ours are wound for one direction.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Now that's interesting.

Perhaps they don't care that it stays in the lowest gear for reverse so there is no need for the driven to change.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Is the driven on a golf cart made different so it works in both directions? Ours are wound for one direction.
    Made the same, JohnF hit it on the head. acts like 1/2 speed in reverse deal.

The ignition timing's got to be way late too, doesn't it? Then again; you're in reverse so you don't use it that often and you're going slow.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

The penguin engine uses two sets of points, one for each direction. It also uses a reversing solenoid to switch the direction of the starter/ generator.

The rotor for the starter/generator on the Villiers motor in the Penguin and Beaver is keyed onto the crankshaft so there is no bendix. I believe that golf carts used a belt driven starter generator, so again no bendix. If I remember correctly the way the ignition cam is ground on the golf cart the ignition timing is correct for reverse. Is the driven on the golf cart torque sensitive, with a helix ? I have a Snow Cruiser snowmobile with a speed sensitive driven clutch, it has no helix. The movable half of the driven slides on pins so it would not be affected by direction. It is a Salsbury unit if I recall correctly and this Snow Cruiser has no form of reverse.

I've owned several snowmobiles with electronic reverse. It is accomplished through electronic timing, when you engage reverse the spark is cut and on the final revolution the engine will fire back up in reverse rotation. I've had Polaris and Bombardier machines with this feature, the only "real" negative is you cannot stay in reverse for any length of time as the engines are starved for oil while running in reverse, the oil injection pumps only work in forward rotation. I guess if you wanted to premix your fuel this wouldn't be an issue any longer.

Trying to adapt an engine to reverse rotation would require a fair amount of work, settting it up to run well in both directions is a HUGE job.

Any 2 stroke will run in reverse. Only major factor that comes into play is spark timing. You either need a coil set to the opposite timing or electronic ingnition to set the timing. This is a common issue in the Goped world.

I had a 1970 Mercury 250ER snowmobile that had reverse. You had to shut it down, hit a switch and restart it and it ran backwards. It was a real advancement back then and the coolest looking machine.

+ Reply to Thread