Farewell to the Tragically Hip

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Farewell to the Tragically Hip

Farewell to the Tragically Hip

Well it's not everyday I consider myself a Canadian first, always the proud Newfoundlander, but yesterday we had to say goodbye to one of the best Canadian acts of all time and for the few hours a large part of the nation watched along, enjoyed and listened to the hip do their thing for one last time.

Now while American bands, and all the american pop-culture washes up over the boarder with ease, It's been said by people in the industry that it's a harder for Canadian bands to work their way south into the states and find the same level of success.

So I was curious how far the "Hip's" reach had spread. How bout naming your favourite Tragically Hip song and which province/state your from.

It's a hard thing to do, but myself I would have to pick songs like wheat kings, fiddler's green, nautical disaster, New Orleans is sinking.....there's too many I can't actually choose

I am in the SouthEast US and haven't heard of them before, not that I'm plugged in at a high level to the music scene. I did just go check them out on Youtube and the couple of songs I listened to while doing other things online were really laid back and relaxing. I could see listening to that while relaxing outside at the end of a busy day.

I was sorry to read about the reason for them doing this final tour.

Just over the border here in Buffalo, they're a mainstay of the music scene (...and we get all the Southern Ontario stations as well). We had a public outside viewing of the concert live in Larkin Square for folks who couldn't see it any other way. I'be only had the chance to see them live twice, but wow what a show. Breaks our hearts down here to know that they're gone. Have you had the chance to see their cover band Strictly Hip? Naturally not the same thing, but they pay a fine homage to Gord & Co.

Almost forgot...."Grace, Too...."
    Last edited by hydromike; 08-21-2016 at 07:56 PM.

Sadly the lead singer has brain cancer and is on his last tour sadly. A great band as always will never be forgotten

WOW their from canada i would have never guessed , i love their songs

Yeah they're a Canadian group out of kingston Ontario, which made them very accessible all around the great lakes region I would imagine. Being from an island comes with some disadvantages like not being able to hop in the car and head out to see a band playing in the next province/state. The ferry ride alone is pretty costly! That being said the Hip did play here on a fairly regular basis and the shows were amazing. The final show was broadcast live on CBC network and they showed the entire show with no commercial interruptions!
    Grace too is what they opened with when I seen them in St. John's and the next day it was stuck in my head so much I had to learn it on guitar.

I have never heard the Strictly Hip! Maybe now that the Tragically Hip are done the Strictly Hip will visit us more down here on the island and I will get out to see them!

Well im from Oshawa, which is not far from Kingston, where the band is from. I will say I was never a diehard fan, but did always enjoy their music. Also of course, being local boys it's a sense of pride to hear them mentioned with reverence internationally. My favourite song would have to be "Bobcaygeon" because that's another place not far from me, where I spent many unforgettable weekends camping, partying and staring up at the stars in days gone by.... As well as all of the other places mentioned in the song. LOL That song always took me back to better times instantly. It's funny how nostalgia works. If you haven't heard it I highly recommend you look up the video on YouTube.
    Damn... Talk about courage though, Think about it, he could've spent this last year resting, being kept comfortable with meds, and spending his time with his loved ones. Instead, He and his bandmates chose to give the fans one final memory &
    "go out on his sheild" ! How many of us can say we would have the "brass pair" to do that ?
    "I've yet to encounter a problem that cannot be solved with the right mixture of whiskey and weaponry"
    :ME....

" From my cold dead hands"
    :Charlton Heston...

+ Reply to Thread