help chain loose with tracks on

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help chain loose with tracks on

Angry help chain loose with tracks on

Well I ll try and keep this short, while changing the axles on my conquest when I was done and in the air I ran it and noticed that the chains on left rear and left 2 nd from rear are loose on top onoy fiddle string tight on the bottom. I ran it in reverse and it straighten right out perfect tension top and bottom of chains. Took of jack stands and test ran approx 1 mile and loaded right back up left rear chain tight on bottom loose on top that its dragging on the frame . HELP. I have a set of the Adair 18 inch tracks on it and all the chains are tsubaki approx 20 hours on every link in the tub. Is there anything I'm missing??? Almost seems like it s loaded up like no slippage between tire and track on the left side. Is this possible?????

You need to properly index your tires to prevent chain windup. Argo recomends a differnt tire pressure for each position, someone will post it I'm sure. IMHO, the only way to do this properly is to measure the circumference of each tire at a set PSI (start at 5 psi) with a tape, then adjust your air pressures to equalize the circumference of all tires. I do this by letting some air out of the larger tires until they all measure the exact same circumference. I used to write down whatever PSI each tire required with a paint pen right on their respective rims. Another option to eliminate chain windup is track tuners, they are esentially free wheeling hubs you install on your center axles to turn them into idlers.

help chain loose with tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_Zuk View Post
    You need to properly index your tires to prevent chain windup. Argo recomends a differnt tire pressure for each position, someone will post it I'm sure. IMHO, the only way to do this properly is to measure the circumference of each tire at a set PSI (start at 5 psi) with a tape, then adjust your air pressures to equalize the circumference of all tires. I do this by letting some air out of the larger tires until they all measure the exact same circumference. I used to write down whatever PSI each tire required with a paint pen right on their respective rims. Another option to eliminate chain windup is track tuners, they are esentially free wheeling hubs you install on your center axles to turn them into idlers.
    Yes as said above but I think that almost everybody recommends track tuners on the center axles of 8 wheelers with Adair tracks. I hope someone corrects me if i am wrong.

Tires have all been indexed I'm going to check it again but I think I'm bang on larger tires in middle smaller on the corners.air pressure all the same.
    All right side chains are perfect so therefore really making me scratch my head

Section 11 on page 54 describes proper tire indexing for both 6x6 and 8x8 machines, I didn't realize they recomend the bigger tires in the middle on the 8x8 machines, I've only ever had 6 wheelers where the largest tires goes at the back. ( I try to keep mine all the same diameter)

http://www.expeditionrentals.ca/wp-c...s%20Manual.pdf

+ Reply to Thread