Newt the Bold

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newt the Bold

Newt the Bold

I've come to the realization that I simply don't have the time or energy to enjoy as many of the toys that I'd like to. The Newt was a ton of fun to build and refine a few more skills on, but I haven't put more than 2 hours in it in the last year or so that it's been finished. Here are her details;

*Fiberglass body patched, well-reinforced and painted. The only modifications are the sprocket wells on the lower body. HDPE skidplate riveted to the lower body.

*Kubota V1505 4-cylinder diesel. ~36hp. Runs perfect. Purchased as a new engine with currently less than 20 hours of run time. CV-Tech Powerblock 50 drive clutch.

*Belt-driven NP203-based hi/lo range box. 2:1 reduction shifted up front. It currently has a disc brake on the input shaft with spot-caliper on it, but the caliper isn't hooked up to an actuating lever. This just means it grinds a bit when you shift because you can't really stop the range box from spinning otherwise. Hook the caliper up to a lever and you're good.

*T-20 with brand new bands and seals. Relined bands from Transmission Crafters. #60 drive sprockets installed on output shafts by Apache Gear. T-20 has split shift installed for ease of shifting, NOT counter-rotating. I wouldn't try counter rotating this pig. T-20 is driven by the range box by a short piece of #50-2 Tsubaki chain.

*Mudd-Ox 4140 axles with keyways driven by brand new #60 sprockets. The ends of the sprockets are held to inner bearings via bolts a-la Argo/Max.

*Brand new Morse #60 drive chain throughout.

*Basically new 25x11.5-9" Rawhide IIIs on Mudd-Ox rims.

*The frame on this machine is seriously heavy-duty. It weighs in excess of 200lbs and should hold up for a very long time. Side and center plates are 3/16". Lots of reinforcements and gussets to the bajeesuzland. Dwayne Johnson came by to help me put it in, and he complained about it.

*New 72mm outer bearings with new 52mm inners.

There are >100 pictures of the build in my gallery here.

The only real problem I have with it is that the CV-Tech clutch isn't tuned well for the diesel. It's currently running the largest weights available and the second-weakest spring that CV-Tech offers (the weakest isn't much different...) It's currently quite slow. I've gone as far as swapping out the secondary sprockets to get her speed up a bit, but it's still only an 5-8mph machine. I don't have the time or desire to dive into getting it all worked out, so the next owner can have some fun doing it.

Machine is currently in the Buffalo, NY area. If there's serious interest before next week, I can get the machine down to the Ashtabula ride. I'm firm on the price for now, and I'm not interested in any trades whatsoever. Downsizing is key at this point....

PM, email, text, or call.
    716-57two-four 3sixto.

Last edited by hydromike; 09-01-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Hydromike selling a machine? Downsizing? What's next: locusts?

Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

What an awesome machine. I wish I could build stuff half that nice or had the dough to buy this one
    -Attex ST/300/D - "The Duck." Family owned since the early '70's
    -Attex ST/300/D- Resto/mod project! (not yet started)
    -Attex 440 Thunderchief Racer (not yet started)
    -Attex ST/400 (not yet started)
    -Hustler 980 BIGFOOT- A work in progress (SOLD)
    -1999 Max Buffalo Truck (SOLD)
    -1989 Max IV - A Max four my kids. (In progress)

Price update.... $4000.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Hydromike selling a machine? Downsizing? What's next: locusts?

'Going to bump this after a couple months. Here's a short video just running around the yard....

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    I've come to the realization that I simply don't have the time or energy to enjoy as many of the toys that I'd like to. The Newt was a ton of fun to build and refine a few more skills on, but I haven't put more than 2 hours in it in the last year or so that it's been finished. Here are her details;

*Fiberglass body patched, well-reinforced and painted. The only modifications are the sprocket wells on the lower body. HDPE skidplate riveted to the lower body.

*Kubota V1505 4-cylinder diesel. ~36hp. Runs perfect. Purchased as a new engine with currently less than 20 hours of run time. CV-Tech Powerblock 50 drive clutch.

*Belt-driven NP203-based hi/lo range box. 2:1 reduction shifted up front. It currently has a disc brake on the input shaft with spot-caliper on it, but the caliper isn't hooked up to an actuating lever. This just means it grinds a bit when you shift because you can't really stop the range box from spinning otherwise. Hook the caliper up to a lever and you're good.

*T-20 with brand new bands and seals. Relined bands from Transmission Crafters. #60 drive sprockets installed on output shafts by Apache Gear. T-20 has split shift installed for ease of shifting, NOT counter-rotating. I wouldn't try counter rotating this pig. T-20 is driven by the range box by a short piece of #50-2 Tsubaki chain.

*Mudd-Ox 4140 axles with keyways driven by brand new #60 sprockets. The ends of the sprockets are held to inner bearings via bolts a-la Argo/Max.

*Brand new Morse #60 drive chain throughout.

*Basically new 25x11.5-9" Rawhide IIIs on Mudd-Ox rims.

*The frame on this machine is seriously heavy-duty. It weighs in excess of 200lbs and should hold up for a very long time. Side and center plates are 3/16". Lots of reinforcements and gussets to the bajeesuzland. Dwayne Johnson came by to help me put it in, and he complained about it.

*New 72mm outer bearings with new 52mm inners.

There are >100 pictures of the build in my gallery here.

The only real problem I have with it is that the CV-Tech clutch isn't tuned well for the diesel. It's currently running the largest weights available and the second-weakest spring that CV-Tech offers (the weakest isn't much different...) It's currently quite slow. I've gone as far as swapping out the secondary sprockets to get her speed up a bit, but it's still only an 5-8mph machine. I don't have the time or desire to dive into getting it all worked out, so the next owner can have some fun doing it.

Machine is currently in the Buffalo, NY area. If there's serious interest before next week, I can get the machine down to the Ashtabula ride. I'm firm on the price for now, and I'm not interested in any trades whatsoever. Downsizing is key at this point....

PM, email, text, or call.
    716-57two-four 3sixto.

nice machine...nice build hydro !! sure wouldn't want to get it muddy , johnboy

I know how much time and effort went into this build. Mike did some amazing things to this machine. He only builds top notch stuff.

Nice looking machine, Mike.
    Banned

Very nice machine Mike! Newt the Bold , ST/400. Can't wait to see what's next

+ Reply to Thread