patching fiberglass

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: patching fiberglass

patching fiberglass

can i just use the fiberglass from the auto parts store to patch some cracks in my shell? and possibly to fill in the headlite holes on my scrambler?

Quote Originally Posted by bmarv23 View Post
    can i just use the fiberglass from the auto parts store to patch some cracks in my shell? and possibly to fill in the headlite holes on my scrambler?
    if it is a fiberglass body to start with yes if it abs it will probley eart it up robbie
    1999 max 2 18 b&s 22 tires custom . new max iv 23 k 26 i/n tires brown . ht cable promark winch . new toy 1972 attex st400 400ccjlo and she will be bad . ( the frog ) if it don't float with out you getting wet . don't bring it ! R.I.P sage rogers 4 11 09 . you can't fix stuped !!!!! raceone 3 .)

Before you patch it, sand the areas real good so you can see the cracks. Drill a small hole,1/8" will work, at the end of the crack. This will stop the crack from spreading. You could fill the headlight holes if you use fiberglass cloth and lay several layers from the back and let it set up then fill the front.
    If it's the ABS body there are adhesives that will work but you have to get them at an auto body retailer. Auto stores like NAPA or Parts Plus should also have it. Don't plan at finding it at a chain store like Auto Zone, these adhesives are labeled "professional use only..not for retail sale". It is a little pricey but it won't come apart.

2 part industrial epoxy! That's what you are talking about right?

Great stuff, and strong as the devil!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

I would try the smc panel adhesive available from auto body supply. it is intended for plastic and dries very slowly which makes it stick better. It is thick for working with cloth, but can be done. For headlight holes you should heat and embed some fine metal mesh fom Lowes for a start point.

The adhesives I'm thinking about are made by Fusor. Some of them do dry fast, and you will NOT get them apart. Really good stuff. I had a Nextel phone for work and would constantly break the clips. I took a metal clip system from a phone holster and glued it to the back of my Nextel phone, never came apart or broke. This was the Fusor panel adhesive for putting cars together. I just scuffed the metal clip and plastic battery cover with some sand paper real quick. It set up in like 15min.

ya, scramblers have fiberglass bodies

+ Reply to Thread