Fitting a winch to my Conquest

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fitting a winch to my Conquest

Fitting a winch to my Conquest

Hi someone has told me that you can put it straight onto the front of the top tub and just to put a decent backing plate on the inside. He reckoned there is no need to weld bars down to the chassis is this correct or bull?. I'm just a little worried that it will pull the tub out of shape or worse wreck it.

You where told incorrectly. You need the hoop for the winch on the front of a conquest. The plate ties into the hoop and the hoop is to prevent the tub from bending and splitting at the headlights. And even with a hoop some conquests still split at the headlights from hard excessive winching.

A hoop? I have no idea what that is I'll ring Argo dealer in the morning but not all parts are available here in the uk

Mine has the hoop as well as the backing plate, and it still split the tub up by both headlights. Wouldn't dare try it without any chassis support.

Can't think what a hoop is ? Has any body got any pictures or can it be explained were it fits I would be extremely grateful
    Regards John

Argo Part 622-78 MOUNT ASSY,WINCH-(V2+RES+BF)

Similar to this, I'm not sure if this is the right one for the conquest. Hoop fits inside the tub just barely clears all the engine parts and bolts to the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by olldfella View Post
    Can't think what a hoop is ? Has any body got any pictures or can it be explained were it fits I would be extremely grateful
    Regards John
    yes. the hoop is a U shaped piece of tubing a few feet long with a short piece of plate on each end. it attaches to the frame near the front on each side. the top of the hoop rests near the hood openingwhere the winch is mounted and is fastened to the framework there and to the winch backing plate. I believe the 4 holes (2 on each side) are already drilled and the hoop and plate and hardware should be available from a UK Argo dealer. best wishes

Thanks guys really helpful. I've also looked into the links on the forum and found instructions how to fit it. I'll have a ring round tomorrow and see if anyone has one if not I'll look at making one at least now I have an idea. Again to everyone
    Regards John

Ps I rang uk dealer this morning hoop not in stock. Price £295 + 20%vat plus carriage so total will be about £380 think I'm going to make my own hoop
    Last edited by olldfella; 10-10-2016 at 04:21 AM.

You should be able to see the ears on top of the frame that the hoop bolts to. They are pretty stout made of material similar to schedule 40 1/2"ID pipe. I've made them in three pieces and bolt together at the winch plate. Clearance on the engine clutch is a bit tricky. Without the inside support the top will probably break out at the corners of the headlights if it isn't already cracked. Good luck on your project.

Hi thanks for the advice made a start today using 4 mm plate for backing plate long enough to go down onto bottom tub. I made a former out of a bit alloy to get the shape then bent the steel under log splitter ram came out near perfect. Hope to get on with the rest of it tomorrow god willing thanks again for your help

+ Reply to Thread