Easy T-20 split shifter Guide

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Easy T-20 split shifter Guide

Easy T-20 split shifter Guide

This is on a 94 Max II
    18hp Briggs and Stratton

You will need:
    Grinder
    Welder

I got all my parts from tractor supply.
    Parts List:
    -1/2x1x2 inch steel bushing (anything will work but the inside diameter needs to be 1/2in)
    -1/2in steel pipe (hollow or solid, you only need about a foot)
    -shift knob of your choosing, I haven't found a matching one yet.
    -2 1/2in inside diameter spacers/washers (the think ones)

Start by cutting the cross shaft. I cut mine an inch and a half from the shift lever. Clean up the rough edge at the cut.
    image.jpg

Weld the spacer on leaving 1 inch of the cut shaft exposed, I did this because my connecting spacer is 2 inches long.

Slide the thick washer and the spacer on the other shaft and push them together for a good snug fit. Spot weld washer in place.
    Finish your weld on the bench.
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Cut 5.5 inches of pipe, stand the existing shifter up in a vertical position, and weld the pipe on to match the angle of the existing one.
    image.jpg
    Apply some grease inside the sleeve spacer, and reinstall.
    While reinstalling, I took the spacers out of the bands that hold the linkages in place out to get a tighter fit. I also added grease.

Thank you for this. How much difference is the Max II to the Max IV? I figure this ought to work. But what might be some significant differences, if any? Thanks.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

What are the advantages of the split shifter? I see quite few do this just curious. Good looking fab work.
    Dave

This allows you to shift each side one at a time. It will fall into gear much rather than the latter, because your not alligning two gears at once.
    It also allows you to shift one side in forward, the other in reverse for a true-zero turn, like a skidsteer.

The main reason I did it is to eliminate the struggle to get it into gear, these t20s naturally shift tough, this will be the best/easiest upgrade you can do to any machine equipped with a t20.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I copied this to the transmission category in our how-to section here: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...build-how.html

Nice

Thanks mike! Glad I made a difference.
    I have been searching a lot to find a guide, finally I decided someone needs to make one, as simple, cheap, and ingenious as possible.

Had a hard time thinking up a way to do it without a welder though, but if you have one of these tinker toys, your gonna need one! Mines a headless $250 Lincoln wire feed, sucks because I always have slag and sloppy looking welds but it does a good solid job after 2 passes. I'm so used to a stick welder that I forgot how easy a wire feed was!

Rabbit THANKS for the clarification on the split shifter. This may be my winter project.

+ Reply to Thread