Amphibious ATV Jet propulsion systems?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Amphibious ATV Jet propulsion systems?

Amphibious ATV Jet propulsion systems?

Who is going to school me on these jet pumps for AATVs? After reading up on the Wedge, how many other AATVs had these systems, how powerful are they, what kind of speeds do they allow for, pictures, videos, etc.

I know nothing

Well Mike I know that the early fiberglass body Hustlers came with a jet pump option. I have an old Popular Mechanics magazine from 1970 and they tested the Hustler and they stated that it did about 9 mph in the water.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Man, 9mph is not too shabby! Does that article mention any technical specs about them? Are they belt driven? Also, how do you activate them?

Terra tiger Terra Jet

I have seen the Terra Tiger called Terra Jet Claims it went 10mph on water with a very small jet pump.

I do not know why more AATV's do not have this option anymore it seamed like a really good idea.
    I was thinking if you kept the Tracks on you may even get to hydrofoil a bit with enough power. If the tracks were spinning at the same time the jet was going it may reduce the water drag from the tread pattern. I would imagine it would take allot of power to get it to ski up on the tracks but once it did it would take much power to keep it going. Cavitation may be an issue.
    Last edited by Robio_8x8; 01-22-2008 at 10:30 AM.

jet pumps

they are chain driven in a wedge.
    Whipper has his next calling,,, hydrofoil an attex...LOL

dont know much about stock systems

but i do know they wont take solids,clean fresh water only! thats fine for cruising the local pond but not for swamps and contaminated dirty water which is what these machines are made for! i am planning on using a 3" trash pump capable of taking solids,leaves,eggcorns,sludge and whatever else we might dredge up.this one is pretty cheap and i can use the motor for one of my go carts L@@K NEW 6.5 HP 3" WATER\TRASH PUMP W\US NPT THREADS!!! - eBay (item 270206099316 end time Jan-28-08 20:55:00 PST) it will push out 220 gallons of water a minute through a y diverter valve,with 2 outputs one on left and one on right for steering. since they are designed for 6.5 hp i figure i can use tapered output tips to increase pressure and thrust without bogging the 23 horse vangaurd v twin i'm looking at,it also has a flywheel stub for v belt pully to connect pump 23hp Briggs-Stratton Engine ES Vanguard Flywheel Stub - eBay (item 130191239493 end time Feb-17-08 08:28:40 PST)
    figuring on doing a tensioner pulley for cluth to engage pump,kinda like a mower on a garden tracktor.dont know what kind of speed ill get but i have gps with mph so ill be able to get accurate water speed to post,i figure at the very least i'll be able to drive halfway into a pond submerging front inputs stop and engage pump and put on one hell of a show!!! flywheel stub on v twin would be good for 2nd alternater or small hydrolic pump for power angle plow too. are there any differences in the vangaurds in aatv's and this flywheel stub model??? gettin 12"half tracks and thinking about taking off front chains and strapping snowboards to the front tires to try that hydro foil thing...lol
    Last edited by srg121; 01-29-2008 at 01:48 AM.

Jet Ski jet pumps actually take allot of abuse

There is a grill on the bottom of a jet ski to block any large objects and as far a sand grit mud sludge it will just pass through. If it clogs and does not go through it just robs you of power until you clear the intake. Sometimes this just means stopping letting the stuff fall off and take off. Other times you may need a squeegee to remove objects from intake grill before you regain full power.

If you get a stainless steel prop it will most likely last forever. The jet skies on our lake goes through all kinds of crud, small gravel, sand, weeds, zebra muscles, you name it. The bonus you will have with an AATV when tapping off of the engine is it doesn’t use the lake water as coolant so you do not have to worry about that water intake being clogged and having the engine over heat. When the grill over the jet pump gets clogged you loose power until you clear it .There is no long term damage.
    If you are worried about damaging your impeller or using an aluminum impeller use a clutch on the drive mechanism. (Just use a stainless steel impeller you will thank me latter).

You also do not have to engage the jet pump unless you find it necessary to increase speed .People run those jet skies things up on sand coral all the time without years of trouble. You can even run a jet ski dry if it wasn’t for the cooling system style.

Using a water pump like the links above show would be inefficient and the water pump I use to draw from the lake (white is a jet style pump) requires filers upon filters to prevent acrylic impellers from wearing out
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

yeah don't know much about pumps but just figured with the cost of the 6.5hp motor I'm only spending about $30 bucks for the pump and would be a good place to start experimenting.i can run it with its own motor and temporary input/output hoses to run some tests without cutting holes in body and at very least i have a pump to use around the house.and i didnt figure id be able to ski off the back just want to go faster than everyone else,maybe even break that 10 mph barrier...lol
    Last edited by srg121; 01-29-2008 at 02:23 AM.

Let me know if you try but...

Quote Originally Posted by srg121 View Post
    yeah don't know much about pumps but just figured with the cost of the 6.5hp motor I'm only spending about $30 bucks for the pump and would be a good place to start experimenting.i can run it with its own motor and temporary input/output hoses to run some tests without cutting holes in body and at very least i have a pump to use around the house.and i didnt figure id be able to ski off the back just want to go faster than everyone else,maybe even break that 10 mph barrier...lol
    It is not just the propulsion it is drag. It takes allot of force to get an AATV to go over 5mph in water .You may be able to pick up jet ski parts super cheap after a storm in the tropics or off a guy who blew the motor on one .The only thing I have to fix on a jet skies jet drive in the $2-$6 bearings and Impellers. The only major damage was one with a cracked housing and that was a combination of running with really worn bearings and a collision impact with rock at high speed. The rock won
    The Impellers are not cheap,like a boat prop in cost.

if you buy one check the condition of the impeller

http://www.impact-enterprises.com/photo/0216072a.jpg

Do not worry about the junk in the very back of pump in picture that just helps it steer.
    You may be able to still steer using the aatv steering
    Last edited by Robio_8x8; 01-29-2008 at 02:46 AM.
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

hey how big are jet ski pumps and where do they intake,would the pump need to be centerd in bottom rear of tub becouse i have zero room there.plenty of room up high on right of motor right next to flywheel stub though. plumbing for input/output still tight.dont want to cut bottom of tub.want to run intake hose from front under axles on outside,displacing 220 gallons away from front of vehicle also providing a suction effect,thinking about running output through 2"receiver hitch and using tires to steer since i can run both pump and tires independently or at same time.ill still be spinning tires to get to 4-5 mph,then engaging pump should give me a boost,maybe only to 7 or 8 mph but every little bit helps when your going that slow.and again dont want to cut holes in lower tub,was going to cut hole to reccess 2" receiver hitch anyway leaving just enough on outside for pin so doesnt get hung up coming off trees and other obsticles,making a sealed bucket wont be hard but if i run output through reciever hitch wodnt need to be sealed as water entering hitch will hit one way check valve on output before pump. if check valve failes water just goes into pump and back out inputs if pump is off.
    Last edited by srg121; 01-30-2008 at 09:21 AM.

+ Reply to Thread