Attex Racer Thread

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attex Racer Thread

Attex Racer Thread

Hey you guys with all those quick and nimble modified Attex race machines, lets post up some pics of your rig along with a description of them. I ll get the ball going, this is my 1969 Attex ST/300 with a JLO 440 twin. It had a Baker Hill 7000 "Power Transmission" with reverse, but I removed the reverse unit for less weight and now it is a forward only "straight shaft" unit. I am running Nankang Chevron tires on polished aluminum ITP rims (I still need 4 more before its done).
    Attached Images

That's awesome! What's the deal with that transmission ie. how strong is it, is it similar in design to the T-20, etc. Also I love the ITP rims. They look good (I think I saw some more in your other pictures). How much do they run / where to buy.

Well the Baker Hill is like an inside out T-20. It is very durable as well. It has a pair of disks on each side and a caliper on each side. There are planetaries inside each pair of disks and when the caliper stops one disk from moving, the other stays spinning. When the outter disk is spinning and the brake caliper is on the inner disk, that side goes forward because it has the drive sprockets on the outside disk. I will try to find a pic to post up. The ITP rims were a 9.00 ebay deal.....for some reason nobody bid on them. You can get new Douglas aluminum wheels for about $35 each.

Hey Jeff, your cage looks a little crooked from over here. I'd take it back to the fab shop.

Here's a shots of the racers; I'll try not to duplicate pics posted elsewhere..

First machine (in the background): ST/503R- Originally a 1972 Attex ST/400. Now running a 503 Rotax (twin Mikuni 34s, Comet 102C, Wiseco pistons, and the Ski-Doo expansion chamber). Stock Borg-Warner T-20, 21x10x8 Nankang marshmallows. It's fun. The 503 Rotax was used widely in Ski-Doo and Motoski snowmobiles, but had a much more popular following in the ultralight aircraft crowd, mainly do to reliability. Yeah, it's an airplane engine. It's loud, fast, obnoxious, and like a pet tiger, it'll kill you if you're not paying attention.

Second machine (foreground): Attex D/Stock Superchief. "D/Stock" referes to Class D in NATVA racing (0-500cc) and "stock" refers to the fact that it's using only factory available parts, which according to Section III (2)(A)(10) of the 1975 NATVA Official Rules, states: "Competitors will be allowed to use the latest model available of the original engine which was installed by the manufacturer in their vehicle, using a single carburetor and standard stock muffler"
    The engine is out of (yes, again) an ultralight aircraft. It's basically (basically) a 440 Rockwell/JLO engine that has some...uh... updates. It breathes better, cools better, and makes a bit more power. But it's still the "latest model available of the original engine". Yeah, it's an airplane engine. Running a single Mikuni VM32, stock ultralight exhaust, the same Nankangs as the "R", a Comet 102C clutch and a T-20. It's not as fast as the "R", but it corners nicer for some reason. I think it's mainly because when I'm in the "R" I'm wicked scared and I don't want to turn.

I'm running the old tires on each machine in the pics. They look better now.
    In the pic, I'm explaining to Dave C from AttexATVs.com that I really need him to sign the waiver before he takes the D/stock out for a spin....

I took the liberty of posting one of my favorite pics of Dave C and Don at Phillipsburg last year. I won't go into details about Don's racer; I'll let him handle it. Don's ready for his run, and Dave gives him the all clear...

~m
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    ... I think it's mainly because when I'm in the "R" I'm wicked scared and I don't want to turn....
    That's a great quote...you should put that in your sig line

That was also a great post and I loved the pics. I have got to see one of these in action one day.

+ Reply to Thread