Drive clutch questions.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drive clutch questions.

Drive clutch questions.

Ok guys so when I had the engine out doing the swap I took the drive clutch apart to check everything out and it all looked good but neither it nor the driven clutch will change width. I don't know for sure that they both ever worked as they have been sitting for a while. The argo is a 90's model vanguard, the drive clutch has the three rubber shoes inside that change the drive clutch. Would it be acceptable to take the belt off and Rev it to see if the drive clutch changes to eliminate it or will that damage something? If it is the driven clutch is there a manual somewhere that will show me how to tear it down after I get it off?

There is a manual on the home page of this site for Argos that does show breaking down the clutch. First though, have you tried lubricating the clutches? You may want to spray some WD-40 or some actual lubricant in the CVT to try and loosen it up. Also, is your engine revving properly and your belt set tight enough?

When you tighten the big nut on the bell housing on the primary sometimes you can get the housing sideways and then it holds the weights from moving.

Engine revs out fine but the belt is a little loose. It's the one that was on it when I got it and I assumed it was the correct size. How tight should it be when the engine is off? On my older Argo it's not slack enough to turn the belt without turning the driven clutch, on the vanguard it's loose enough to turn the belt and not turn either clutch.

About 1" deflection in the middle up and down between the drives.

Definetly need a shorter belt then, mine will touch in the middle. I finally got everything moving and the belt doesn't make it all the way down in the driven clutch like my other argo does. Guess I'll find a parts diagram and compare the belt I have with the belt it's supposed to have and replace accordingly.

+ Reply to Thread