Strange problem,Conquest runs bad...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Strange problem,Conquest runs bad...

Strange problem,Conquest runs bad...

Hello!
    I have a strange problem with my 1994 conquest (kawasaki 620 engine). I had a problem suddenly that it was only running with choke and was weak. I found out that the fuelpump was broken (+ cable was loose inside the pump and impossible to fix). I replaced it with an aftermarket pump (since my argodealer recommended that since the argo pump is extremly expensive!).
    The aftermarket pump gives a slightly higher pressure (the pump max at 0.3 bar) then the argo pump but this should not matter imo but the Argo still runs bad and only with choke. I get fuel to the carburator and the volyme looks enough. The problem started with the fuelpump so I dont think there is a problem with air leaking in to the carburator.
    Any ideas?

clean your carb. clean the jets especially.

Replace all the fuel line from tank to carb. Check the carb inlet for little pieces of fuel hose stuck in the little opening. I've had a bunch your age with similar issues.

I agree on the change fuel line idea. I had a similar problem, intermittently for the past 4 years. Changed the fuel pump, cleaned, then changed the carb out, emptied the gas tank, cleaned and still had the problem from time to time. I ended up changing the fuel line (which was a 10 minute job) and found a 1/4 inch tear in the line, where it was sucking air in when the line bent a certain way. Works perfect now. Derek

Clean the main jet, if it runs with choke that means the fuel is getting into the carb.
    You can remove the jet by first removing the shut off solinod, then insert a flat screw driver into the hole and unscrew the main jet.
    It has a tiny hole that is easy to plug.

i had major carb issues , previous owner was running cheap corn gas, the whole system had this clearish yellow gooey stuff in it, i had to change everything , including removing the gas tank to clean it all out, one day it would run fine, the next day it would run like a pile of crap or not run at all, havent had a problem since cleaning the entire fuel system and i only run non ethanol in all my small engines now....

found this on line

A gallon of gasoline provides one-third more energy than a gallon of ethanol.

Blending ethanol and gasoline at a ratio of 85 percent to 15 percent (E85), the blended fuel is nearly thirty percent less powerful than pure gasoline. Ethanol is similar in acceleration, power, and cruising ability, but ethanol miles per gallon are less than pure gasoline.

Ethanol causes damage to fuel systems and engines that pure gasoline does not. The most critical problems are water contamination and fuel separation. Ethanol attracts and absorbs water, including water from the air. When the gasohol absorbs enough water, fuel water contamination occurs in the car’s gas tank and that affects engine performance. If the car sits for a while, fuel separation occurs; this is where the gas and water form layers in the gas tank and if the motor sucks up the water layer into the engine, serious costly, damage happens.

Great info from Silvrbck and very accurate the only thing I could add is the separation he speaks of is much more prominent when the weather cools sharply IE:a machine stored at a cabin or camp from the summer on to be used in the fall hunt and a little giggling of the machine will not put things rite and you may be trying to start it on pure ethanol with any moisture it had accumulated.Cheers NCT

Excellent points regarding Ethonal gas. I just got back from filling all my gas cans (30 gallons worth) at a local station that caries 88 octane ethonal free gas ($2.49 a gal.). It is all I will run in my Conquest and it defintely runs better and seems to extract more power (rpms). The 20 HP Kawi in these are excellent engines, but do not like old or low grade fuel. I need all the help I can get at 10,000+ feet above sea level. I also use Marine Stabil stabilizer in the gas. It has an ethonal treatment in it as well if you are running 10% ethonal.
    Quote Originally Posted by silvrbck View Post
    i had major carb issues , previous owner was running cheap corn gas, the whole system had this clearish yellow gooey stuff in it, i had to change everything , including removing the gas tank to clean it all out, one day it would run fine, the next day it would run like a pile of crap or not run at all, havent had a problem since cleaning the entire fuel system and i only run non ethanol in all my small engines now....

found this on line

A gallon of gasoline provides one-third more energy than a gallon of ethanol.

Blending ethanol and gasoline at a ratio of 85 percent to 15 percent (E85), the blended fuel is nearly thirty percent less powerful than pure gasoline. Ethanol is similar in acceleration, power, and cruising ability, but ethanol miles per gallon are less than pure gasoline.

Ethanol causes damage to fuel systems and engines that pure gasoline does not. The most critical problems are water contamination and fuel separation. Ethanol attracts and absorbs water, including water from the air. When the gasohol absorbs enough water, fuel water contamination occurs in the car’s gas tank and that affects engine performance. If the car sits for a while, fuel separation occurs; this is where the gas and water form layers in the gas tank and if the motor sucks up the water layer into the engine, serious costly, damage happens.

Hello everyone and thanks for the replys!

Update:

Now I cleaned the carburator in my ultrasonic cleaner again (Great buy by the way,super for cleaning carburators,brass for reloading aso)
    I found some dirt where the fuel shut of solenoid is seated. I guess that was the problem. Probably from the old fuellines. Now the hoses are exchanged to new ones and the Conquest runs like the wind again! (Well not exactly like the wind but like an old argo should..)

Another question- Is the fuel shut of solenoid important to have?
    My cable for the solenoid is a little damaged and I'm thinking of taking the solenod of and put a plug in the hole of the carburator.
    Bad idea?
    Thanks all for your help!

The solenoid is supposed to be there to stop any backfire from occurring at shut off as well as any anti dieseling.
    With that said, we have "nipped the tip" of the solenoid after the fine wire breakage on trail rides in order to return. We also cut the wire off the solenoid as a reminder of the non functioning solenoid.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread